Growing apples in dense clay

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I live in Melbourne, Australia. I have ordered some apple trees online and they will arrive in mid-July. I chose a few places to plant them in but just below the surface there is very dense clay.

Is this clay workable? How would I work with it? Would I be better off choosing new spots with better quality soil? I have a modest supply of compost but would prefer to avoid using it because it contains quince leaves which have black spot.

9752D7DA-038D-4F29-AB2A-5C4FC5C3B6F4.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get yourself a soil test from the University and be sure, before you plant anything anywhere. The basic test will give you everything you need to grow the best plants suited for your soil. Without a soil test its a gamble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first thing you should do is fill the hole up with water and time how long it takes for the water to drain away. If it takes 24 hours or more the drainage is poor. To make certain, after the water has drained away, fill it up again. Decent drainage will lower the water 1 inch per hour. If less than 1 inch per hour find another spot. If more than 1 inch per hour you will need to water more to keep the tree healthy. This rule of thumb goes for all fruit trees.

Ask a Question