Grow Tents?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I apologize if this isn't the place to post this. Please let me know if this should go elsewhere!

I'm looking to get a grow tent to grow vegetables indoors, due to a very small yard. My biggest concern is plant spacing - is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to the amount of plants that will fit in a given space? With the limited knowledge I have, I figured that a one-square foot per plant would be ideal, but I just want to be sure.

Now, I imagine it would vary depending on the type of plant and whatnot. I'm just looking for any and all info I can find.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spacing depends on several criteria. The type of plant, how large it will grow before harvest, and the availability of resources at different densities and spatial arrangements. Much of this is fairly intuitive, though education, experience and observation will allow you to make improvements.

In a home garden, plant densities can often be higher than in a commercial field because the gardener can take extra care in arranging that plants will still recieve adequate light, water, and nutrients, even when grown close together. Growing different crops together as mixed plantings is a better use of limited space. The classic 'three sisters' combination of corn, beans, and squash is an example of this.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I appreciate the response!

I understand the intuitive parts, for sure. When it comes to the plants, I was thinking just some 'basics'; green peppers, tomatoes, beans - nothing too special. Not too sure how big they will get in an indoor setting, but I am willing to make arrangements to account for anything!

When it comes to the choice of growing medium, I am considering hydroponics - just a simple setup; a pump into bucket sort of deal. This is where my question of 'how many plants can fit' was coming from; I don't want to overcrowd them, but I would like to maximize my growing potential. I guess all I can really do is begin the growing process and adjust on the fly. How exciting!

I'm still looking into everything, making plans and gathering the essentials - hence why I am here, to gather info!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I appreciate the response!

I understand the intuitive parts, for sure. When it comes to the plants, I was thinking just some 'basics'; green peppers, tomatoes, beans - nothing too special. Not too sure how big they will get in an indoor setting, but I am willing to make arrangements to account for anything!

When it comes to the choice of growing medium, I am considering hydroponics - just a simple setup; a pump into bucket sort of deal. This is where my question of 'how many plants can fit' was coming from; I don't want to overcrowd them, but I would like to maximize my growing potential. I guess all I can really do is begin the growing process and adjust on the fly. How exciting!

I'm still looking into everything, making plans and gathering the essentials - hence why I am here, to gather info!

Thanks again!
A sweet pepper plant on average will be about 1 1/2 feet tall and about that wide. Tomatoes come in all sizes from 1 foot dwarf plants to 10+ foot indeterminate plants. In your case you will want determinate plants. Determinate plants will average about 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide. Green beans will average about 1 foot tall and about 1 foot wide. Having said this you must do a little research to find out which variety will fit your needs. I gave average heights and widths. Many will be larger and some will be smaller. It all depends on the variety. My estimates are taken from outside plants. Indoor vegetable plants must have adequate lighting. I personally have never seen a successful indoor vegetable garden except in greenhouse situations and I have been gardening a very long time. Perhaps hydroponics is the answer. Good Luck

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you!

I am excited to try this! I've wanted to have a garden for a long time, but where I live, there is very limited yard space and there are some pretty strict rules about how to maintain it, not to mention the small amount of sulight I get in the yard (co-op housing blues :p) Thankfully, my landlord is fine with the project, so indoors I go!

Based on your post, if I were to get, say, a 4'x6' tent, I'm guess-timating roughly 4-6 plants to fill out that space (on average). That should be fine for me to start with, in my opinion, and I can always expand, if need be.

When it comes to seeds, you mentioned determinate - how will I know which seeds are which? Will it say on the packaging?

SO glad I found these forums! Thanks for all the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you!

I am excited to try this! I've wanted to have a garden for a long time, but where I live, there is very limited yard space and there are some pretty strict rules about how to maintain it, not to mention the small amount of sulight I get in the yard (co-op housing blues :p) Thankfully, my landlord is fine with the project, so indoors I go!

Based on your post, if I were to get, say, a 4'x6' tent, I'm guess-timating roughly 4-6 plants to fill out that space (on average). That should be fine for me to start with, in my opinion, and I can always expand, if need be.

When it comes to seeds, you mentioned determinate - how will I know which seeds are which? Will it say on the packaging?

SO glad I found these forums! Thanks for all the help!
Yes, it will say either determinate or indeterminate somewhere on the seed package

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, it will say either determinate or indeterminate somewhere on the seed package
Why don't you send of for free seed catalogues. They will tell you how large the fruit and the plants will be. Here are a couple of places I get seeds from. There are many online stores with catalogues

www.seedsnsuch.com
www.totallytomato.com

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for the welcome!

My thought process with the tent was to have a space that will contain the plants and allow them to grow, but also protect them from my pets (my cat can be a terror :p ). As for the light, the room where they will be growing has only a patio door (no other windows), and the sun doesn't really come in through it. I figured the tent would offer the 'protection' and proper light amounts necessary, with a direct light source from above plus any reflections from the sides.

The tent also allows for a place to hang the lights, instead of drilling holes in the ceiling to run chains and hooks for hanging. Since we rent, I want to cut down the amount of damage done to the place.

Ask a Question