Grow Potatoes in a Bucket?

Reaction score
I came across a couple of sites that show how to grow potatoes in a 5 gallon bucket. It looks very easy to do. Has anyone else tried this? Does it work as well as they say it does? If so I would like to give it a try.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of folk do, they need to be watered regularly, most complaints are about the yield being low because they went thirsty.

Will need feeding after a month too, as the nutrient gets used up.

Reaction score
Thanks zigs. I think that I am going to give it a try. And I will be sure to give it plenty of water!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Go for it, i'm currently growing a potato in a bag of half rotted leafmold that i've been feeding and watering all summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I ALWAYS grow first early potatoes in buckets, and I start some of them in the greenhouse.
It lets me get home-grown new spuds in early May, when other spuds are either crap or extortionately priced.

Reaction score
Wow I didn't know you could grow potatoes in a bucket. I will give it a try myself and see how it turns out. I love potatoes and would love to grow my own rather than buying from the store.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow I didn't know you could grow potatoes in a bucket. I will give it a try myself and see how it turns out. I love potatoes and would love to grow my own rather than buying from the store.

It's a bit late in the year to start now Annette,unless you are nearer the equator than I am, but give it a go next season by all means:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This technique requires access to soil, but I thought worth posting...
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-grow-100-pounds-of-pota-81760

How-To-Build-a-Potato-Box.gif

Reaction score
Go for it, i'm currently growing a potato in a bag of half rotted leafmold that i've been feeding and watering all summer.

You can grow potatoes this way. That's very interesting. I have never heard of growing potatoes by this method before. I have also read some articles where you can grow potatoes containers such as a bucket. I would like to try this some time and ensure that I feed and water them as much as I need to.

Reaction score
I
It's a bit late in the year to start now Annette,unless you are nearer the equator than I am, but give it a go next season by all means:)

I am definitely going to give It a go next season. I already have plenty of buckets, and soil, but I will wait before I get everything else. I will be prepared and I will let you know when I have gotten started.

Ask a Question