Grow new plants from old basil leaves.

Reaction score
I use this technique to preserve the basil leaves I buy from the grocery store, because growing them from seed can be tricky. I usually cut off two or three smaller branches with only two letters on them and put them in water in a not to hot ad sunny place.

Fast forward a few weeks later my little basil plants grow small white roots (I changed the water every other day) and when the roots are a few inches long I can bury them in soil.

basil-roots.jpg

I had many plants growing and thriving this way.
What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I never thought to do this with basil. My purple basil flowers and goes to seed fairly fast and efficient, so never thought to take starts of the actual plant. I do, however, do this with mint. I even managed to start a new mint plant that I gave to my mom, who uses it for her tea and just loves it! I've noticed this technique works wonders with herbs in general, but I tend to struggle with getting them to sprout roots from bigger plants (like green peppers - I'm attempting it, but it doesn't appear to be going so well). Perhaps I'm not changing the water as often as I should. Are you using tap water or distilled/purified? I know there are pros and cons of using each.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my family everybody has a green thumb, But me :cry:. I showed my mother what you've done here and she think's " Homegirl did here thang with those cuttings, Using the little high dro method." She's southern so that's why she talks like that. lol. I've always heard basil was hard to grow so I wont be trying it any time soon, Unless I copycat your way of doing it. How often did you change the water? An is there any other steps I should know before attempting this in the future??

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my family everybody has a green thumb, But me :cry:. I showed my mother what you've done here and she think's " Homegirl did here thang with those cuttings, Using the little high dro method." She's southern so that's why she talks like that. lol. I've always heard basil was hard to grow so I wont be trying it any time soon, Unless I copycat your way of doing it. How often did you change the water? An is there any other steps I should know before attempting this in the future??

Hi! I did this several times already in the past few years. I change the water every second day or so, but it's have to be fresh, otherwise the roots wont grow. I have success stories with this, so recommending to anyone.

Little advice: when you cut off a small branch for the new plant it shouldn't have more than two leaves on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I did this several times already in the past few years. I change the water every second day or so, but it's have to be fresh, otherwise the roots wont grow. I have success stories with this, so recommending to anyone.

Little advice: when you cut off a small branch for the new plant it shouldn't have more than two leaves on it.

Thank you for the info, I'll put it to great use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow this is good to know. I would have never thought about doing this. I love basil so I like have a lot of different plants, because I use it so often.
Do you plant the new plants in dirt? I am going to have to try this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grow Thai basil like you did but with the stems rather than the leaves! Once I see the roots long and strong I took them outside and planted them in a pot, only during the summer though. Our winter here is too cold and my house doesn't have adequate sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this tip, Herbs93. I'll try to grow new plants from basil that grows in my parents' house. The more basil plants, the better:) It's one of my favorite herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That's a smart way to re-generate multiple plants! I've always just bought pre-rooted plants from my local outdoors store - I can't believe I've never thought to just try and grow my own additional plants from what I had. I'll have to give this a try - we love basil in this house so it's certainly a case of the more the merrier!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! this is awesome! I didn't realize that you could do this. What a great tip! Thank you!

Ask a Question