Grow Light Recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to start my vegetables from seed this year but have pretty crappy natural lighting and don't want my plants to get leggy!
I was looking on Amazon for a good gooseneck led light but so many of the reviews seem to be paid reviews/etc..so I don't trust them. I've never grown from seed before but seems like the light you use is kinda specific?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good light? Just filling a few egg cartons so all I really need is a gooseneck style clamp light with a few heads!

Happy gardening! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Certainly LED lights are the way to go nowadays.
Plants need light in the blue (425–450 nm) and red (600–700 nm) wavelengths.
However, there is no need to buy those purple bulbs, as most white light bulbs will contain a usable mix of all visible wavelengths.
Compare emission spectra for different bulbs. Most brands should have some information about the spectra of their bulbs.

Light intensity (lumens) will increase with wattage. Bulbs that emit more light can and should be moved farther away from the plants. Conversely, relatively low wattage can be used if the lights are placed very close to the plants.

Some fixtures (with reflectors) and bulbs direct the light more evenly onto plants. Usually long tubular bulbs and fixtures are preferred, but if you only have a few plants then a gooseneck lamp with a strong bulb might work. However if there is only one point of light, plants may lean or grow odd directions in order to maximize their light exposure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Like this style?
Screenshot_20220315-062433.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both! Very helpful! The lumen/watt correlation threw me off as most that I look at only show watts and not lumens!

Yes, that style would work great, Dirt mechanic! :D

Ask a Question