Grow grape vine right

Reaction score
Country
Israel
hey, kinda newbie around here so excuse any wrong terms :)
planted my grape vine in the ground and its branches grow as this professional paining shows
:
12829-db11a7982d40e0d91584c75c30aa5cd5.jpg

my plan is to get the trunk the height of 2.2m and then let the vine loose and grow its fruits over a net at that height.

- should I chop the 2 shortest branches and let only one branch grow to that height as a trunk?
- if you advise letting 2 branches become trunks, should it be the 2 highest or one of them with the short one?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Take a bit of time and review the Internet material about growing grape vines. I have four vines of different varieties in my garden. These were purchased about eight years ago. I was completely ignorant about grapes. There has been some fine harvests, of which I extract and pressure can the juice. It was a learning experience and mistakes were made in pruning and initial planting in crowding the plants. But now by trial and error I am reasonable happy with the effort.

What I am saying with this long harangue is get as much information as possible and consult a grower with some expertise if possible. Grape vines properly chosen and planted correctly will produce good crops for many years, but they do take some care. I suspect you have an ideal climate for grape growing. Good Luck.

Ask a Question