Ground cover

Reaction score
I would love to get some good ideas of plants I can use for ground cover for the front on my home. I want low maintenance but pretty if possible. If it has to be all green that is okay, but I prefer some color if at all possible. I live in Florida so obviously it has to be plants that grow well there. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Liz

Reaction score
The English Ivy is a lovely ground cover, it can take sun as well as shade. Candytufts are beautiful too. Periwinkle, lantana, rock rose all add color to your garden. I personally love Ivy and lantana. These are easy to care for.. I should say they thrive on neglect.

Reaction score
English ivy looks nice but OMG does it spread! And once you get it, it is hard to get rid of. I am still finding pieces that somehow have made it through my killing spree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
maddie
mentioned periwinkle it was a perennial down in Fortlauderdale i don't know how far down you are
I grow it here in planters good color flowers the whole season takes heat its tough

Reaction score
Another option is asian jasmine. It has small leaves, is compact, only about 4-6" high, and spreads above ground. It likes shade or partial sun. I had it in my backyard because it was too small for a grass yard.

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Florida plants since I live in New York, but I applaud you for looking for something other than grass. It may be traditional but I'm told grass actually needs a lot of water and other plants might conserve it better. Here the advice is to consider clover, I believe.

Reaction score
Portulaca. It has a beautiful flower and is also a succulent, so need little maintenance.

Ask a Question