Gro zone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first time poster here and relative novice.

I got a Gro zone for my birthday recently and have inhabited it with herbs, peppers and tomatoes, but am unclear about a few things.

This probably sounds a stupid question but should I keep it shut 24/7, open it during daylight hours, just close it when the temperature drops?

Additionally is it worth adding some form of additional humidity (I had been considering a bowl of water to introduce steam)

Any advise would be appreciated here

Thanks in advance

Caz

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im in zone 9a and i open mine during day for a time im a bit of a new be too i have put a catch on door now so i can open a little in wet weather too i find it helps as it can get pretty muggy in there on warm days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @spot261

Gro zone means minigreenhouse? A photo will be nice. I have 3 tomato greenhouses and all my seedlings died under the heat and the airless plastic cubicles. Son lovingly opened them and closed them, but still the Essex heat was punishing. It might be a good idea to remove the sheet when there is no and the temperature hits 18c if it is sited in a sunny area and put it back at night when the mercury drops to 10c.. It depends on very much where you site them. I have now removed the sheets and just use one shelf in a shady area which enjoys indirect sunlight.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not sure what a Gro Zone is. I tried searching for it and can't seem to locate any information. My first guess was that it is a cold frame, but alp may be right that it is a mini greenhouse. Either way, you don't want to leave it closed all of the time. I have seen my full size greenhouse go up to 30 degrees higher inside than outside on a sunny winter day. Unfortunately, most all of that heat is lost during the night unless you use some solar practices. But, you did not ask about that, so I am assuming that you are warm enough at night. Tomatoes will not set unless they are around 60 degrees. I don't know if this is a permanent location for the plants or if it is just a starting point and they will be moved into the ground at a later point. I too would love to see a picture of this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
More greenhouse plants are lost to heat than cold.
If the minimum outside temperature is going to be 12C (54f) or more, you are better having as much ventilation as possible; open doors, vents, etc. because:
your plants will grow well at that temperature
they will, to some extent, deplete CO2 in a closed environment, limiting growth
the air circulation will help against fungal diseases like mildews and botrytis.

If you have high levels of humidity and dry soil, you are just begging for mildew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Air conditioner filters exist that are rated MERV 13 that can filter fungi spores and very small biological particles.. I point this out in case you decide to set up an exhaust fan, solar powered or otherwise.

Ask a Question