Grevillea Varieties Great for a Hedge - Long John comes to mind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Looking for Grevillea varieties that are great for a hedge - Long John comes to mind.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Looking for Grevillea varieties that are great for a hedge - Long John comes to mind.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Will the root growth of large grevillea create a potential problem for concrete barriers (potential cracking) ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always recommend pruning shrubs or hedges into rounded shapes that are trimmed with individual cuts to a side branch, rather than flat shearing and the creation of angular edges. This can work well with many common Grevillea including G. x 'Long John', though there are other choices that can produce denser foliage.

One Grevillea in my garden that I prune in this way is Grevillea x 'White Wings'. I wouldn't recommend it for its floral display. The flowers are small and white, interesting in detail, but not showy. However if you wanted to create a prickly-leaved barrier hedge it could be a good choice. Grevillea x noellii could be used similarly, except its flowers are more attractive and it's leaves not quite as prickly. It also only gets half as large.

I wouldn't consider any of the shrub-sized Grevillea likely to crack sidewalks. On the other hand, a large tree, like Grevillea robusta could easily do so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I always recommend pruning shrubs or hedges into rounded shapes that are trimmed with individual cuts to a side branch, rather than flat shearing and the creation of angular edges. This can work well with many common Grevillea including G. x 'Long John', though there are other choices that can produce denser foliage.

One Grevillea in my garden that I prune in this way is Grevillea x 'White Wings'. I wouldn't recommend it for its floral display. The flowers are small and white, interesting in detail, but not showy. However if you wanted to create a prickly-leaved barrier hedge it could be a good choice. Grevillea x noellii could be used similarly, except its flowers are more attractive and it's leaves not quite as prickly. It also only gets half as large.

I wouldn't consider any of the shrub-sized Grevillea likely to crack sidewalks. On the other hand, a large tree, like Grevillea robusta could easily do so.
Thankyou. :)

Ask a Question