Greetings from Southern Indiana

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hello all.
Ive been lurking around for a month or two, and finally decided to join.
I just started serious gardening last year after my girlfriend bought me Joel Karstons straw bale gardening book. I have to tweak a few things this season, but the concept itself proved successful.
Im also attempting seed-starting in the basement for the first time this year, and these forums have been extremely helpul with that.
Loving these forums so far!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! I love your avatar, being somewhat of a turtle fan myself. We have dozens (no exaggeration) in our pond, and occasionally one wanders up to the barn lot just to look around.
Please ask any questions you may have--we love to discuss gardening techniques and solutions to problems. You'll fit right in here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Welcome! I love your avatar, being somewhat of a turtle fan myself. We have dozens (no exaggeration) in our pond, and occasionally one wanders up to the barn lot just to look around.
Please ask any questions you may have--we love to discuss gardening techniques and solutions to problems. You'll fit right in here!
Thanks!
Yeah, I came across the turtle in the middle of the road while bike riding one morning. I've always loved turtles. Took a pic, and got him off the road and into the wooded area he had been traveling towards :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A couple years ago I was riding my bike along a very busy 4-lane highway with a large grassy medium. I saw a large softshelled turtle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_softshell_turtle attempting to cross the road, it had just gotten into the bike lane.

I picked it up, not too easily, because it started paddling its feet and trying to swing its head around, but I was able to drop it into the water, next to a pipe that goes under the road and connects to the other drainage pond that it was headed towards. That thing must have weighed at least 25lbs, but its struggling made it feel much heavier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
A couple years ago I was riding my bike along a very busy 4-lane highway with a large grassy medium. I saw a large softshelled turtle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_softshell_turtle attempting to cross the road, it had just gotten into the bike lane.

I picked it up, not too easily, because it started paddling its feet and trying to swing its head around, but I was able to drop it into the water, next to a pipe that goes under the road and connects to the other drainage pond that it was headed towards. That thing must have weighed at least 25lbs, but its struggling made it feel much heavier.

Oh yeah, softshells are one of my favorites! We have a species of those around here too.
I used to catch turtles as a kid. Snappers, red-eared sliders, painted turtles, box turtles... but softshells were always the most elusive unless I found one out of the water.
The neck on one of those is surprisingly long, and it shocked me with how far it could reach its head back the first time I picked one up haha!

Ask a Question