Greetings from california!

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! My name is Jack, I'm 28, and I am a great lover of animals and plants alike. My mother is a big gardener and I picked up the interest from her. Our home and garden are full of things like roses, orchids, African violets, irises, cannas, and calla lilies. Personally this year I am focusing on growing tomatoes. I have two heirloom varieties, Yellow Pear and Indigo Apple, plus some cherry tomatoes of unknown variety that volunteered. I am also hoping to begin growing sweet potatoes sometime in the vaguely near future. In addition I would like to grow collard greens, mustard greens, squashes, and other good staples for my bearded dragons. I am pretty inexperienced as a gardener myself but I am fascinated by plants and love to learn. Looking forward to reading about everyone else's gardens and learning from you all!

Reaction score
Wow! You have a lot of enthusiasm!

Welcome and here's hoping you learn a lot to move forward with your plans!!

Reaction score
Thank you! :) Yes, I do. When I was younger I took gardening and plants for granted. They were always a major part of the background to my life. As an adult I've become much more aware of that fact, and that made me want to start gardening myself rather than just watch Mom do it all the time. Also, not to put too fine a point on it, being disabled and living on a fixed income creates a certain motivation to learn how to produce food for oneself that costs as little as possible. Having a home vegetable garden is extremely useful along those lines. Hence the specific species I listed in my original post... all of them are either favored by my family or are especially good for my dragons. In all honesty if I weren't enthusiastic about it I probably wouldn't be able to muster the energy to do even the light gardening I do. If I were still strong and young... alas! Ah, well, it happens to all of us eventually. :p Plants and gardening are one of the most pleasant ways to occupy my time that are available to me.

Besides, they're just plain beautiful. As an artist I have a strong appreciation for color and form, which means, almost automatically, that I have a strong appreciation for plants and fungi. The exquisite colors of a rose or an orchid, the architectural form of succulents, the fractal symmetry of trees... I could go on forever about them. Many artists have spent their entire creative lives focusing on nothing but flowers, or trees, or plants generally, without ever running out of new subjects. Plants are a great blessing to me as an artist.

Reaction score
I can't actually call myself an artist, but I completely understand your point in appreciating plants from a beauty stand point!! I love all sorts of plants for exactly that reason. I live in the northeast and we have cold, snowy winters. This means a long season w/o leaves on our trees. So many people complain about that....but I LOVE looking at the "bones" of trees when they are bare. You see each tree's character and grace...it's just so cool! Add to that the textures and shapes of plants...bark, leaves, blossoms....all of it. Even all the different shades of green present in our world just make me so happy. As for occupying time....I could easily ignore all sorts of other responsibilities and monetary needs to play with plants or buy new ones!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
welcome and funny I call myself a yarden artist

Ask a Question