Greenhouse Winter Gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found this video and thought it was awesome. It shows you how to garden during the winter with mini greenhouses and they even explain how to make them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd love to have a mini greenhouse like those:D I'll try to make one as soon as I have my own garden. It's a very informative video, thank you for posting it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The only modifications I can think of if I were to make those here is that I would replace the plastic with plexiglass and line the boxes with reflective insulation around the edges. Of course if I use plexiglass I would have to make it so the lids raise and lower on hinges also. Otherwise, they are a great idea for milder areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Actually those are probably pretty strong. It is just a mini hoop house. The cloth, well it's only to keep bugs off..

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My concern would be how would the cold frames handle a heavy snow and how do you water the plants inside the enclosed frame. I can see using this type of winter growing system once I have the two questions answered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My concern would be how would the cold frames handle a heavy snow and how do you water the plants inside the enclosed frame. I can see using this type of winter growing system once I have the two questions answered.

I have seen several videos of people using cold frames during heavy snow and they seem to hold up really well. I guess it all depends on how you design them because you would design them differently in one place then another depending on the severity of the winter weather. I guess a heavier cold frame with thick insulation would be best in a heavy snow area.

Watering could probably be done one of two ways. By hand with a sprayer or maybe even have a water line insulated buried under the group leading to a reliable water line (most likely in the house) that you can turn on to water the plants without having to expose them to the chill.

Ask a Question