Greenhouse placement

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All

I just joined the forum tonight and wanted to get opinions from people that have greenhouses already. I want to buy a greenhouse for my back yard. Probably palram balance 8x12 or palramVictory™ Orangery Chalet Greenhouse 10x12 . Has anyone had any horrible experiences with this brand? Also what is the usable interior space. The website says 8x12 but I know it is not 8x12 on the inside. IMPORTANT question next. I live in New Jersey so winters are hit or miss sometimes. In your personal opinions is it better to have morning sun or afternoon sun. Im planning on putting the greenhouse in one of two corners in my yard and need to make a choice. If i cut some trees down in my yard I might get some more afternoon sun on the morning only side of the yard.

Thanks for the help in advance
Carl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Carl :) I don't have any personal experience with greenhouses, but plenty of people here do so hopefully they'll be able to help you out (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I own three palrams and love them. The victory one was my dream but not enough space nere so I have a 6x8 and two 6x4's. The 6x8 is heated right now and I have seedlings growing in there.

Place it where it will get the most sunlight. You can always add shade cloth to cut down on sunlight but you can't add sunlight to a shady spot. :)

Make sure your vents are placed opening downwind.

Welcome to the forum!

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Carl, You should be placing the greenhouse with the gable ends pointing to the north and south. This will leave your long ends getting the morning and afternoon sun. As long as you are getting 6 - 8 hours of sun you should be OK. Everything I have ever read is that the morning sun is best. The afternoon sun can get too intense. Of course if you are growing tomatoes, they would much prefer the afternoon sun. So, keep what you are growing in mind as well.

Ask a Question