Greenhouse placement problems!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I am new here and have never had a greenhouse. I have recently fallen in love with bromeliads, and I need a place to put them and their new pups in the winter. I was hoping to get into other types of gardening where a greenhouse would also be useful. My husband actually said we could get one. I was so excited until I did some research and realized that my yard doesn't have enough sun to have a greenhouse. The only place that gets enough sun is our deck on the back of the house. I have seen the small greenhouses that can be moved around. Although it is not quite what I had in mind, I am wondering if it would suit my needs. I could put one on the deck. I live in GA. The winters aren't harsh, and I wouldn't have to use it for long periods of time. Are these small portable greenhouses a waste of money?? If it is something that would be worthwhile, does anyone know what would be a good one for me to get? Thank you so much!! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I've never had a greenhouse but hopefully someone here will be able to help out with your query.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Laureek. :) I don't see that it would be a problem having a greenhouse on your deck. I believe member CanadianLori has a greenhouse in the same situation.

Many gardeners complain that their greenhouses aren't large enough so it would be a wise move to buy as large as you can afford, assuming your deck can take the weight. It's surprising how quickly they can be filled with plants. :) The smaller, usually plastic covered greenhouses tend to disintegrate very quickly through wind damage and it's difficult to keep them grounded. Known colloquially as 'blowaways' here in Britain. :D Mine only lasted two years.

I can't advise you where or what type to buy in America but my own greenhouse was aluminium and glass as seen below. It's size 8ft x 6ft.

095.JPG

Ask a Question