Greenhouse is up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I was able to pick it up for $50 at Menards a few weeks ago and finally got it up on Thursday. Wasn't too difficult and I just love it. I used 1/2" threaded rod pounded over a foot deep to stake it down and its very solid. Just have to pick up some bags of pea gravel to make the floor (its just weed cloth right now)

To be out in the yard yesterday I had on a long sleeve shirt and hooded sweatshirt, but in the greenhouse I was fine in just a tshirt so it really makes a big difference. Have some lettuce living out there now to see how well it works

238261.jpg

more pics can be found here http://insidebanditsgarden.weebly.com/

Reaction score
That's a really pretty greenhouse! I checked the other pictures in your blog, I must say hat greenhouse is more spacious than it looks. In this picture it looks so tiny, but after seeing the shelving units inside it... I realized is much bigger! Best of luck with your project and keep us posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
its about 6x5 inside. If you check menards.com is the one on clearance for around $50.. other places are selling it for $150+ so I think I got a good deal. Once its too warm to grow in it I'll use it for yard storage of the chaise cushions, charcoal, etc.. the stuff that doesn't fit in our tiny shed and doesn't need to be stored in a locked area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful greenhouse! I like that all the rods are white, it looks really lovely and tidy.
I visited your blog and I must say that I'm in love with your spiral plant stand. In my opinion it's absolutely gorgeous!:D

Reaction score
It looks great. Good to note that you stakes it down. With the wind we have been having over here, you would probably find in in the next province if it weren't. Is the framework on that plastic? It is a bit difficult to tell from the picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Its basically a pop up tent, metal banding alone the edges, the supports are tent poles. You take it out of its bag, shake it out and insert the poles and you have a greenhouse. It has a large door in the front and vents in the peaks at the front and back.

The spiral plant stand is something I saved from the trash probably 5 years ago when my mother in law was throwing it out. I needs to be repainted, but otherwise is in great shape and almost 6 feet tall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Probably not.. I just want to start a bit sooner and extend the season a bit longer. It also gives me alot more storage for the garden tools and supplies I use daily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Few really big wind storms in the past week. Greenhouse is still standing. Only problem was one seed tray getting knocked off the shelf when a big gust slammed the side of it. Relocated the shelf to the back wall where its taller and there are no reinforcement bars to hit anything. Have to redo 60 seed pots, but since I had only done them they day before its not a huge deal. If they were all sprouting and I had to start over it would be a bigger loss

Reaction score
Whoa, this is so cool! It's really much bigger on the inside! (Very much like a TARDIS, only a greenhouse, haha!)

May I ask what urged you to buy this and set this up? This seems to be such an interesting concept. What's the difference between greenhouses and regular gardening? o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I want to be able to start as much as possible from seed but have very little space inside the house to work with. I also wanted to get growing ASAP this year. Add in 2 cats at would nibble my plants if they got the chance and it becomes even harder. Menards had it on sale for $50 so it seemed like it was worth taking a chance on. Once the seedlings are out in the garden I can still use it as a storage shed for the handtools I use every day, patio cushions, etc. The stuff I cant just leave laying out but doesnt need to be in a locked enclosure. The other factor that sealed the deal is that for winter it all comes down and stores in a bag thats about 3'x3' and maybe 10 inches thick so its easy to store it and not have it get snow damage.

Eventually I'd love to have a small permanent structure but wanted to see how much I'm realistically going to use it before spending $300-400 on one.

Its a work in progress and a learning experience.. hoping to get all the seeds I lost in the wind storm restarted after work tomorrow

Reaction score
A awesome greenhouse for an even more awesome price! Starting seeds on your own is much cheaper and sometimes tend to grow better than store bought plants. It's a great idea for continued use after the growing season is over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Its also letting me grow things I'd never find here as plant starts so I can add alot more variety to the garden. So far I'm really happy with it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
took advantage of the home depot 5/$10 plant sale yesterday

5 strawberry pots (and picked the ones that that 2-3 plants per cup so I have 17 actual plants)
parsley
pineapple sage (yummy)
chocolate mint (super yummy)
brocolli
cauliflower

Its nice to be able to pick them up now and have a place for them to "live" until its really time to plant them. If I waited the price would be double

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Few storms with wind gusts of up to 40mph resulted in a small tear on one side, but nothing a lil duct tape didnt quickly fix. Its working nicely and even kept my babies warm and safe during the cold and 1.5 inches of snow we got early this week

Ask a Question