"Greenhouse" in the Tropics to Keep Cool-Weather Plants

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi!

I do know that greenhouses are often used in temperate countries to keep tropical (that is, frost-vulnerable) plants especially during winter months. It is essentially a "warm" place for them.

I want to find out if there is an analogue for the "greenhouse" in the tropics which will allow people to keep plants like pines and others which require a cooler climate? I do understand that it will be very difficult to replicate the seasonal cycle in temperate countries but I was just wondering if this would be applicable and feasible, at least for plants which do not respond to these seasonal changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Evergreens will grow anywhere regardless of climate. There's pine trees in desert regions in Africa that thrive, in some parts they're such a problem that people cut them down whenever they find one because they suck up valuable water. In fact some of the oldest species of trees that grow in the desert are various pine species. We generally associate evergreens with cool climates but they can grow anywhere in the world if they have enough water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to know about any analogues as well. I figure there would have to be, just like wish to keep tropical things alive, I'm sure in some Jungle temperatures and humidities would be too much for some to thrive properly, or cause a foral-burst of activity due to the constant supply of warm and wet temperatures.

I'd assume they'd have to make a "Temperate" greenhouse to hold them, indeed. Some can thrive anywhere like Cereus said, but there's even more that are frail given any circumstances. I doubt Gardeners in those areas only have their own nations/areas crops/plantables. So I'm sure they exist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I remember visiting a bonsai forum a few years ago and reading about someone who kept certain trees in a refrigerator during winter because it was the only way for them to go dormant in his warm climate. I've never tried it though, so I really don't know how well it works. And of course a normal refrigerator wouldn't hold too many plants unless they were really tiny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Look at any freezer, or refrigerator in a commercial setting. They're nothing but thick insulated walls, and ceilings with some sort of cooling unit added. We call them 'walk-in boxes' boxes here. Add to that some lighting, and a large bank account to feed it, and you're all set. :geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have just posted a new thread on moderating temps in a greenhouse. This could work in reverse. Circulated at night instead of day, the mass can be cooled.

Ask a Question