Greenhouse hydroponics

BJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying greenhouse hydroponics for vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers and squash for the first time. I also have several types of greens, for salads. I am wondering if it would help the plants to keep the water cooled. The temperatures are now in the 70s outside, and the inside temperature is getting quite high. I know this will get much more as summer is getting close. I have relatively cool spring water and thinking about running it through a coil in my storage tank and cool the plant water down. This will help keep the roots cooler. Does this make sense, and how much help will this provide. What would be a reasonable temperature to aim for? TNX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is really important to keep the air circulating well during hot weather. You should also be careful not to overcrowd your plants so the air can circulate around them. Regularly ''damping down'' the greenhouse - walls and floor helps too.
We have just been discussing this same problem this evening regarding our polytunnel (hoop house) and have decided to part shade with horticultural shade netting - that`s if we get any summer - they reckon we have snow coming on Monday :eek:
Only water roots and not leaves in hot weather - the sun can burn wet leaves in no time at all.

I really don`t think extra cold water will make any difference :unsure:

Ask a Question