Greenhouse from cattle panels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am building a small greenhouse using some cattle panels. I know your all wondering why the greenhouse film only goes up part of the way...a friend had the piece of greenhouse plastic left over from when he built his greenhouse and he gave me the piece that you see around this greenhouse, I am going to put clear corrugated roof panels on the top to finish it out. ...And it's built on "skids" so I can move it with the tractor or atv, to a sunny spot in the winter and put it in the shade in the hotter months.
I will build a few small shelves in there to sit seed trays and such on. I have a little under $110 in the greenhouse so far.
The inside measurements are 7 ft.-W x 8 ft. 5 in.- L x 6 ft 2.5 in.-H

IMG_8076_05_2015_hoophouse_zps3ofmeht3.jpg

I just wanted something to be able to get my tomato seeds, etc. started in late winter and to maybe grow a few winter vegetables like...spinach, kale, chard, lettuce, etc. to have enough to enjoy a salad or dish of greens thru the winter. I eat a lot of meat in the winter (venison, fish, squirrel, etc.) and the veggies that I can or put in the freezer usually run out before the garden gets ready the following spring, so I guess I am looking to extend my growing season a little too.......
I saw the idea on youtube, TexasPrepper2 has a video about how to build one.
To find the video, search youtube for... texasprepper2 greenhouse

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I am building a small greenhouse using some cattle panels. I know your all wondering why the greenhouse film only goes up part of the way...a friend had the piece of greenhouse plastic left over from when he built his greenhouse and he gave me the piece that you see around this greenhouse, I am going to put clear corrugated roof panels on the top to finish it out. ...And it's built on "skids" so I can move it with the tractor or atv, to a sunny spot in the winter and put it in the shade in the hotter months.
I will build a few small shelves in there to sit seed trays and such on. I have a little under $110 in the greenhouse so far.
The inside measurements are 7 ft.-W x 8 ft. 5 in.- L x 6 ft 2.5 in.-H

IMG_8076_05_2015_hoophouse_zps3ofmeht3.jpg

I just wanted something to be able to get my tomato seeds, etc. started in late winter and to maybe grow a few winter vegetables like...spinach, kale, chard, lettuce, etc. to have enough to enjoy a salad or dish of greens thru the winter. I eat a lot of meat in the winter (venison, fish, squirrel, etc.) and the veggies that I can or put in the freezer usually run out before the garden gets ready the following spring, so I guess I am looking to extend my growing season a little too.......
I saw the idea on youtube, TexasPrepper2 has a video about how to build one.
To find the video, search youtube for... texasprepper2 greenhouse
Nice job. Is it 8x8?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is brilliant! It looks much more sturdy than a pvc hoop house, and you don't need as many supplies!.I will definitely be checking out that you tube video! This may be my new favorite DIY greenhouse!

I was just standing inside my own rickety little pipe and plastic joint greenhouse yesterday trying to figure out how to shore it up and thinking about a design for a new one out of galvanized pipe. This would be so much simpler to do!

Where did you get the cattle panels? How many did you use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is brilliant! It looks much more sturdy than a pvc hoop house, and you don't need as many supplies!.I will definitely be checking out that you tube video! This may be my new favorite DIY greenhouse!

I was just standing inside my own rickety little pipe and plastic joint greenhouse yesterday trying to figure out how to shore it up and thinking about a design for a new one out of galvanized pipe. This would be so much simpler to do!

Where did you get the cattle panels? How many did you use?

It is sturdy, I can hold onto the cattle panels at the peak inside and it will support all of my 225 pounds of body weight.

I got the cattle panels from the local farm supply store. Any Tractor Supply and places like that will have them also.
I used 2 cattle panels, they are each 16 feet long and right at 50 inches tall/wide. You can haul them in the back of a pickup, just bow them together without bending and strap/tie them in good. I am 27 miles from my farm supply store and they rode just fine all the way back from the store. I have hauled them before, I use them to temporarily divide parts of my pasture when I do not want the billy goat in with the nannies and to keep the horse and goats out of the hay storage area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Goat driver - just checked on my tablet again, for some reason it didn't show the full text. Thank you for pointing this out is such a succinct manner!

You'll have to not use them big words with me, I am a simple country man. Don't know what them words are and don't know whether you are being nice or if thems fightin words.....o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
[QUOTE, ="GoatDriver, post: 55140, member: 2091"]It is sturdy, I can hold onto the cattle panels at the peak inside and it will support all of my 225 pounds of body weight.

I got the cattle panels from the local farm supply store. Any Tractor Supply and places like that will have them also.
I used 2 cattle panels, they are each 16 feet long and right at 50 inches tall/wide. You can haul them in the back of a pickup, just bow them together without bending and strap/tie them in good. I am 27 miles from my farm supply store and they rode just fine all the way back from the store. I have hauled them before, I use them to temporarily divide parts of my pasture when I do not want the billy goat in with the nannies and to keep the horse and goats out of the hay storage area.[/QUOTE]

Chanel
I believe I checked out TSC and they have them . I was extremely interested, but realized I don't have the muscle power to do it. And this was way back before my first kit gh.

if you go for it, I promise I will do a happy dance for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Worked on the greenhouse for a little while yesterday.
I was in town picking up a few things and looking for some heavy cardboard around the back of the stores when I got a good score from a construction dumpster where they are putting in a new Lil Ceaser's pizza place...I scored some good heavy cardboard and a nice load of 1"x4" and 2"x4" boards and some plywood on some crates that they threw away.

The dumpster score...(y)

IMG_1487_dive_score_zpsrqv7bw0u.jpg

Built a shelf in the greenhouse with hardware cloth as the bottom.

IMG_1489_shelf_greenhouse_zpsw4fygceo.jpg

IMG_1493_shelf_2_zps5kwbctvy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is sturdy, I can hold onto the cattle panels at the peak inside and it will support all of my 225 pounds of body weight.

I got the cattle panels from the local farm supply store. Any Tractor Supply and places like that will have them also...

I'm sold! I started looking around yesterday and asked the members of the plant swap if they knew of a local source. I'm always worried about my greenhouse blowing away in high winds, and I like the idea of making multiple half-size greenhouses with just one panel that I can dedicate to different purposes. I have an area where I can line them up side by side, and the depth would only be one foot shorter than I have now with my 5 x 5.

The 7' wide and 6' in height would be a huge plus, so I would only need one panel to get started. I'd likely buy three or four of them at once, though, since it would be a challenge in getting them here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Worked on the greenhouse again today in between the rain showers.
I was going to put clear roof panels on the top but they are expensive so I went a cheaper route and just put some 6 mil visqueen on the top. Got the window, door and the ends closed up, so basically its finished on the outside. I think I am going to build some more shelving but make it mobile.
Anyway here's some pics.....

The door.....

IMG_1501_greenhouse_zpsfevbvaiy.jpg

the window at the other end from the door....

IMG_1502_greenhouse_zpspnyny3sg.jpg

looking inside thru the doorway......

IMG_1503_greenhouse_zpse8mi4vld.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Great job! At the end of the building, there appears to be something black on the edge of the panel along the arch. Is that something you added? It was smart of you to add the window for venting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Great job! At the end of the building, there appears to be something black on the edge of the panel along the arch. Is that something you added? It was smart of you to add the window for venting.

The black stuff is 1/2" foam pipe insulation to protect the edge of the panel from tearing the film/visqueen. Take a look at the 18 minute video on youtube from TexasPrepper2 to see the construction of one of these cattle panel greenhouses.

Ask a Question