Greenhouse for the beginner?

Reaction score
I would like to setup a greenhouse however I'm just a beginner gardner. Should I get a greenhouse now just being a beginner and all? Or test the waters first?

Reaction score
I have found that plants do not grow in my unheated greenhouse as much as they stay alive and healthy. In other words, I had a Mum start to bloom, and then that particular flower stayed half opened for the next month. When we got more light the Mum finished opening.

On the GOOD side, when I grew salad plants in the greenhouse I had salads that were beautifully fresh and far better than the shipped in stuff in the stores! There was some frost nipped leaves after every cold front, mostly where the leaves touched the cover I threw over the bed of greens before every cold front.

I harvested the last of the vegetables in January, because a truly fierce cold front was predicted! I cannot complain: usually the garden dies in October.

That is for an unheated greenhouse in zone 5: your conditions will probably be different than mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I had my first greenhouse this year. One of those portable ones that pops up like a tent. It was around 5x6 and I totally love it. It cost around $50 at Menards and was a great investment. I started all my plants in it, used it as a storage shed in the hot weather and now its holding fire wood for the winter.

Now that I've had one and I know it works for me I dont ever want to be without one. However if I had found that I didnt like/use it the investment and labor to construct it was minimal

Reaction score
I have not worked with a greenhouse due to lack of space for one, but I think they are wonderful. Everyone I know who has one has great success sprouting plants early and keeping them safe from late frosts. I will have to do this kind of thing indoors, which may be more challenging because of limited sun through the windows. If you have the space to put up a greenhouse, definitely go for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As a beginner I would say you do not need one. I'm sure you only have a few plants that could easily be protected in a freeze if need be. However, none of us can really advise you without knowing anything about your plants or your garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to setup a greenhouse however I'm just a beginner gardner. Should I get a greenhouse now just being a beginner and all? Or test the waters first?
This is something I also am interested in starting in, I'm gonna follow this thread!
Hopefully get great tip. :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Planning for a greenhouse gardening it is similar to gardening outside, plants needs adequate amount of nutrients and water, and protection from pest. Green house environment slightly different from a backyard garden, greenhouse growing more controlled way of vegetation. Here you can control temperature by using heaters, vents and fans and can raise the level of fertility by using manure

Air Circulation is an important aspect for having healthy plants, Circulation also strengthen stems and tissues and decrease the effects of fungi attacks.

Ask a Question