Green Potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had some potatoes in the fridge that were starting to turn a little green and I am not sure what this means. I cut them up and used them right away, but then questioned how healthy this decision was. What does it mean when your potatoes start to turn green?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sounds like Yukon Golds. It means that they got light exposure and are ramping up to start sprouting. Generally if it's really light then it's not that bad, but it's best to get rid of all the green flesh since there's increased alkaloid levels. You can make the green go away by putting them in a dark area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, they are Yukon Golds as a matter of fact! I ended up cutting them up and am going to put them in my Crock Pot for the roast I am making for dinner. I figured since they were light green then they would still be ok to use. Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yup! I'd take the green off just in case. Usually it's not a big deal but people react differently to certain things so it's better to be safe than sorry. Generally the dark green and sprouting is when it's too far gone to take the risk on eating them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I didn't know that potatoes can turn green in the refrigerator as I have always kept them under the sink, in the cupboard. That is interesting to know, especially about the alkaloid levels! I should go check mine to see if any of them has changed :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Green on potatoes indicates the presence of solanine caused by exposure to light. In general it should not be ingested. This is one of the reasons to hill potatoes when growing to prevent light from reaching the new tubers.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/killer-tomatoes-and-poisonous-potatoes/

Solanine is indeed a poison in large doses, causing everything from gastrointestinal symptoms to hallucinations, paralysis and death. Large amounts are toxic, but the amounts usually found in food are innocuous. It is poorly absorbed and rapidly excreted. It is estimated that it would take 2–5mg per kilogram of body weight to produce toxic symptoms. A large potato weighs about 300g and has a solanine content of less than 0.2mg/gm That works out to around 0.03mg per kilogram for an adult, a hundredth of the toxic dose; I figure a murderous wife would have to feed something like 67 large potatoes to her husband in a single meal to poison him. Unless he’s a phenomenally big eater, arsenic would be a better bet. Potatoes that are diseased with blight or that have sprouted have a larger than usual amount of solanine. They will have a bitter taste and often a green discoloration; such potatoes should be avoided. Even integrative health guru Andrew Weil is not afraid of solanine, pointing out that there hasn’t been a single case of solanine poisoning in the US from eating potatoes in the last 50 years.

Reaction score
Green on potatoes indicates the presence of solanine caused by exposure to light. In general it should not be ingested. This is one of the reasons to hill potatoes when growing to prevent light from reaching the new tubers.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/killer-tomatoes-and-poisonous-potatoes/

Solanine is indeed a poison in large doses, causing everything from gastrointestinal symptoms to hallucinations, paralysis and death. Large amounts are toxic, but the amounts usually found in food are innocuous. It is poorly absorbed and rapidly excreted. It is estimated that it would take 2–5mg per kilogram of body weight to produce toxic symptoms. A large potato weighs about 300g and has a solanine content of less than 0.2mg/gm That works out to around 0.03mg per kilogram for an adult, a hundredth of the toxic dose; I figure a murderous wife would have to feed something like 67 large potatoes to her husband in a single meal to poison him. Unless he’s a phenomenally big eater, arsenic would be a better bet. Potatoes that are diseased with blight or that have sprouted have a larger than usual amount of solanine. They will have a bitter taste and often a green discoloration; such potatoes should be avoided. Even integrative health guru Andrew Weil is not afraid of solanine, pointing out that there hasn’t been a single case of solanine poisoning in the US from eating potatoes in the last 50 years.
If the potatos are green enough to hurt you they will taste absolutely horrible. Do not worry about being poisoned, you could never choke down enough to get hurt by them.

I have tasted green potatos, they are TERRIBLY bitter if they get too green!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've always just cut off the green bits so good to have it confirmed that its okay. I'm a bit of a waste not want not type but maybe sometimes to a bit of an extreme. Good to know its okay in this instance. :confused: Maybe I should think used by dates are real and not just a guide. Haven't poisoned any one.....yet. :eek:

Reaction score
They are safe to eat :) It just means the potatoes has started producing chlorophyll as a response to a repeated light exposure. We have eaten green potatoes over they years and we are just fine. Don't worry, as long as the thing is not rotten, smelly or leaky everything is ok.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah when that happens it's supposed to be the light, and it means you're about to start a little potato farm in your refrigerator. Some people actually plant them out back if they have to time to tend to crops but if you cut off the growth area it tastes just fine. I've heard it a sign of happiness in the home when things just grow like that (carrots, potatoes and anything you just have in a basket or refrigerator) so it's not at all bad, I guess.

Ask a Question