Green Potato Recovery?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's very near harvest time, and I noticed some green tubers aloft of the garden soil. There is still a smidgeon of time; I can wait a little while I think.

Question: Can I just bury them in dirt and wait awhile? Or should I just dig them up with the rest and compost them?

Thank you.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You can use them as you would any other potato...just cut/peal off the green part...no green showing.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No no no.

The green part is just the tuber's response to sunlight, it's chlorophyl.

When the tuber is exposed to sunlight it produces solanine in all parts of the tuber, you can't see it but it will poison you if you eat it, even if you cut the green bit off :eek:

Throw it away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh gosh, so I guess it's not a question of simply blanching, then. Do you think the solanine would break down acceptably in the compost pile?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I usually eat if there is a small amount of solanine. I simply cut it off and use as normal. Not very often but certainly it doesn't kill me. It is not recommended.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of green potato didn`t kill @zigs when he ate the potato with a green bit on........ but he was very sick :sick::sick::sick:
Yes @MaggieM the solanine will break down in the compost heap, but the tuber will probably produce more potatoes on the heap.
Solanine , evidently, can cause miscarriages amongst other problems.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of green potato didn`t kill @zigs when he ate the potato with a green bit on........ but he was very sick :sick::sick::sick:

I wasn't thinking and just cut off a very small green bit from a large tuber :rolleyes:

It's a good way to loose weight very quickly :muted:

Ask a Question