Green Onion Growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On May 1st, I planted four green onion tops and with so much rain, they took more than four weeks to grow. This morning I came out to check on them, and they are tall enough to cut for use in my cooking today. Happy, happy :)
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Icy :)

Planted out my Kelsae onions today
DSCN1253.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That looks great. I'll go out tomorrow and get some. My next door neighbor just gave me a bag of tiny little potatoes from her garden, so cute and I'm sure will be tasty plus tons of limes. My lemon and lime trees have been in for 4 years but not dproducong yet. Hopefully meet year. Not as showy as your lovely onions, IcyBC

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, they grow super fast! It's wonderful:) I want to give it a try too! I don't have a garden, but I could plant one or two green onion tops in a container:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I usually put green onion in a glass with a little water so the tops will regrow as I cut and use them. I've thought about planting them out, but it's not like they cut and come back indefinitely. I do have chives growing though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I usually put green onion in a glass with a little water so the tops will regrow as I cut and use them. I've thought about planting them out, but it's not like they cut and come back indefinitely. I do have chives growing though.

You answered before I asked my question, thank you!

I was wondering if they could be cut on a continuing basis while still in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Very cool. Love the before and after pictures. I had plans for onions that I ended up aborting last minute. Still have room for them and might just add, though I'm wondering now if it would be better to wait until the fall.

WE eat so many onions it makes sense that I should put them in the garden. Hah.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You answered before I asked my question, thank you!

I was wondering if they could be cut on a continuing basis while still in the ground.

You're welcome, Lori! I usually cut them all the way down, but unless you're using a high volume, when cutting onions still planted in ground, I would just trim the leaves as needed, more like when harvesting chives, and leave the whites intact.

Ask a Question