Green Bean problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am new to the site as well as new to growing green beans. Early this spring (April 29) I planted the first round of green beans. I think it was a little early, needless to say no beans had came up after 3 weeks. After battling the rain, I finally was able to replant contender green beans on May 23. It has now been almost 3 weeks since sow date and only a few plants have come up. The one that have come up seem to be in good shape but only 6 plants out of the entire row(15') have come up. Is it normal for this to happen or should they all be coming up at the same time? Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Beans should spring up within two to four days. Beans must have warm soil. I like to plant them just before a rain when the weather is hot. They will grow almost anytime during the Summer. I am in Zone 5.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
As Durgan says, they prefer to start off in warmer conditions. They are also prone to being eaten by bugs, birds and rabbits when they're young and tasty. I start all mine off in pots or trays in the greenhouse and only plant them out when they're about 9" tall. This way you know that they're there and are not hanging around to see whether they have survived predation.

I grow a considerable amount of beans so grow them slightly in rotation. Usually in three or four batches and about a week apart.

Ask a Question