Grass Killer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
We have just converted the edging around our flower beds to a natural edge. There is now a span of about 5 to 6 inches of mulch (ntural zone) between the grass and the bed. I was advised to keep a grass killer sprayed in that mulch neutral zone to avoid pesky grass sprouts without harming either the lawn nor bed plantings. My first thought is to use a carefully sprayed type of long lasting Round Up.

Please provide your thoughts and opinions.
Louis

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't care for Round Up. I think it kills everything in its path. If you are not careful, it can get in your flower beds or grassy areas. I don't have any suggestions though. Sorry. I know someone on here will have a great idea for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't even think about it. Sure it has a fairly short active life but what would happen if a big rain came along just after you used this stuff? It could possibly contaminate and kill everything. Plus it is a known carcinogenic for pets. If you want to keep the mulched area of 5-6 inches grass free just spray that area with a mixture of 1 gallon of pickling vinegar, 2 oz of orange oil and a good squirt of dishsoap when the grass appears...If you do this immediately wash out your sprayer completely or it will eat the rubber seals in your sprayer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Generally speaking, where can I find orange oil? Thank.....
You can find orange oil at any decent nursury. Look for the Medina brand. You can also find it at HEB and it is called Delamanine there and is in the household cleaning section, but it costs about 3 times as much. A quart should be about $16-$18 at a nursury. It is a fantastic fire ant killer and the best household cleaner there is and a quart goes a LOOOOOONG way

Ask a Question