Grass, grass, and more grass!

Reaction score
Country
United States
An acre of 'green grass' may contain a number of species. Let the grass grow tall enough to flower.Most species flower between late Spring and Fall. Then take photographs. Take habit pics of entire plants and also close-up 'macro' shots of the spikelets, florets and leaves, especially where the leaf blade joins the base at the stem, as there are useful diagonistc features there, such as ligules and auricles. Even still, identifying grasses online will not be easy, but let's see what we can accomplish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One helpful note is that the warm summer grasses are in decline right now and the cool season vibrant strong green ones are just emerging for the cold season. You are in the transitional zone and likely have both types. Right now kentucky bluegrass and other fescues are woken from their summer dormancy and are getting ready to flower and seed. They are somewhat slower due to the cooler weather, but depending on the mildness of winter they may get seeds out before you get snow. Bermuda, St Aug, Centipede and even Zoysia are getting ready for sleepy times. You may care to know the TTTF designation, tall turf type Fescue, which is very likely used in your state, especially around the mountains. This is helpful when you start fixating on weeds and the various controls sold for monoculture lawns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Black Thumb. You and your lovely bride.......and you are interested in grass!!!!!!???????? ;)
;) ;) Many many best wishes.

Here in the UK. I did an extensive course in turf culture and grass sciences. Trust me. The amount of info is vast, very vast. During my spell of teaching/lecturing gardening, I sourced the help of Suttons. Seed Merchants here in the UK. They were most generous and helpful. They sent me over a hundred pkts of grass seed along with loads of notes etc. Black Thumb, my friend. No disrespects to forum members but. Perhaps a note to a reliable seed merchant out there will get the best results. Sincere best wishes to you both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Black Thumb. You and your lovely bride.......and you are interested in grass!!!!!!???????? ;)
;) ;) Many many best wishes.

Here in the UK. I did an extensive course in turf culture and grass sciences. Trust me. The amount of info is vast, very vast. During my spell of teaching/lecturing gardening, I sourced the help of Suttons. Seed Merchants here in the UK. They were most generous and helpful. They sent me over a hundred pkts of grass seed along with loads of notes etc. Black Thumb, my friend. No disrespects to forum members but. Perhaps a note to a reliable seed merchant out there will get the best results. Sincere best wishes to you both.
I'm not sure how I missed your response but thank you! We live just a couple miles from a wonderful nursery and I found out that they have workshops and lectures every weekend on various gardening, lawn care, and landscaping areas of concern. My yard is a mess and so I think it's going to take me some time to figure out a plan of action. I will be consulting with the nursery as well as perusing the threads here for information and posts from people having similar problems. Here's hoping!! :) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I decided to do an experiment. I bought some Scott's Weed & Feed and only applied it in the backyard. There are so many different types of grass and weeds back there so I thought I'd try this and see what happens. We have crabgrass, dandelions, Bermuda grass, wild violets, clover, and God only knows what else because I see so many different things. So, I'll see what happens in the back, out of the public's eye, and go from there. I suspect it'll take a season or two to whip the yard into shape. I'm not really sure what to expect yet because the soil is hard, compacted clay. I cut the grass shorter than usual and then laid down the weed & feed and then it started raining, so I couldn't have planned that better. LOL Stay tuned. Film at eleven......

Mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have dark patches in my yard where those wild violets are taking over. They are pretty but they sure are invasive. I'm hoping to be rid of them.
I heard triclopyr will take them out but evidently it is going to take more than the weak formulations I have been using. I have been running weak sprays and just keeping after them every 2 months or so. Speedwell is another weed I have that has superpowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I heard triclopyr will take them out but evidently it is going to take more than the weak formulations I have been using. I have been running weak sprays and just keeping after them every 2 months or so. Speedwell is another weed I have that has superpowers.
It's unfortunate that flowers, vegetables, grass, etc., don't grow as easily and as fast as weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's unfortunate that flowers, vegetables, grass, etc., don't grow as easily and as fast as weeds.
Actually "Viva la Difference!" because that speed goes to uptake rates of herbicide allowing many sprays to be used. I have come to believe that the high temp limits on some labels have at least some of a speed of growth relationship not just heat stress on the desirable plants. Bermuda will really grow in heat given water not drought. I mowed last week and some weeds are 3x the cut plane of grass already. I see them as little green flags saying "Come Spray Me!".

Ask a Question