Grapevine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a grapevine this year which when received was about 2 foot high. I planted it direct into the ground in my greenhouse at my allotment.

The very healthy new growth started looking really sick 2 weeks ago and I just put it down to the greenhouse being too hot even though I kept watering the vine.

Today I find out why. Someone has been in my greenhouse and cut both the branches off it and left them in position with secateurs or similar as it was a clean cut on both at the same spot.

What was coming on for 5 foot high is now barely 4 inches.

Will it grow back or is that it now and it's dead?

Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought a grapevine this year which when received was about 2 foot high. I planted it direct into the ground in my greenhouse at my allotment.

The very healthy new growth started looking really sick 2 weeks ago and I just put it down to the greenhouse being too hot even though I kept watering the vine.

Today I find out why. Someone has been in my greenhouse and cut both the branches off it and left them in position with secateurs or similar as it was a clean cut on both at the same spot.

What was coming on for 5 foot high is now barely 4 inches.

Will it grow back or is that it now and it's dead?

Any advice appreciated.
If was a grafted grape and cut below the graft it will come back from the rootstock, whatever it may be. If it was cut above the graft it will probably come back and as the vine you wanted. If it was not grafted it will probably come back with no ill effects except a big wasted period of time.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I cut one right back last year, it's only just sprouted new growth :)

DSC05550.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs is right--your vine will recover. We had a Mars grapevine on a fence and it was difficult to mow or weed around, so we just cut it at ground level, thinking it would die. Guess what? The Mars grapevine is now taking over the fence.
I'd confiscate all the secateurs at the allotment.:mad:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fingers crossed it recovers. If its the person who I think has done it they've got a several years old well established grapevine and I might just have to have an accident with some roundup. Karma.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Never take out your frustration/anger on a plant. People do damage, plants rarely do. Can you lock your greenhouse?
Using an herbicide on the well-established grapevine just might step up the retaliation.
Who manages the allotments? Report the damage and ask if the manager can talk to all the allotmenteers about respecting others' plants and plantings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was locked but they still got in. The committee don't give a **** I have reported it and their response was that it's not their responsibility its the plot holders to report it to the Police with no witnesses or CCTV which is the committees responsibility and they don't want to talk to everyone because it will cause problems if someone takes offence

Ask a Question