Grapefruit Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
Growing two grapefruit trees from seed (growing beautifully). Recently I’ve noticed the ends and sides of one or two leaves dying and turning white.
image.jpg

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Y.Z.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let me guess. You are using Miracle Grow products? This appears to be a fertilization issue, either too much or too often as evidenced by the browning, the leaf distortion and the lack of glossiness of the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let me guess. You are using Miracle Grow products? This appears to be a fertilization issue, either too much or too often as evidenced by the browning, the leaf distortion and the lack of glossiness of the leaves.
Hey thanks for the reply!
@YumYum also said he thinks it's a fertilization issue. I'm pretty sure I'm using Miracle Grow soil. Was wondering your take on how to better insure my plants success?

Thanks!
Y.Z.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey thanks for the reply!
@YumYum also said he thinks it's a fertilization issue. I'm pretty sure I'm using Miracle Grow soil. Was wondering your take on how to better insure my plants success?

Thanks!
Y.Z.
Make sure that your container has sufficient drainage holes and feed with a good fertilizer, preferably organic. If it were my plant I would transplant into a slightly larger container and not use any Miracle Grow product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As long as there is a drainhole in the bottom, soak it and let it dry on top before you water. How long has it been in that pot? Can you take a shot that shows the whole pot and plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use Miracle gro potting mix too and have never seen it, by itself, contribute to that dark of a green growth like that. MG potting mix has that coated urea (or whatever it is) that time releases and its unlikely it just released a bunch of nitrogen at once. I always have to add something to make my seedlings greener from the get go. If you didn't fertilize with anything, then something else has to be going on. Are you sure you didn't use any kind of fertilizer?

Overwatering or saturated soil can cause root rot which means less roots to soak up nutrients in the soil so the plants usually get yellowish not dark green.

I too am guilty of using synthetics for my seedlings but I do also use organic things in my garden... manure, compost, blood meal, cover crops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use Miracle gro potting mix too and have never seen it, by itself, contribute to that dark of a green growth like that. MG potting mix has that coated urea (or whatever it is) that time releases and its unlikely it just released a bunch of nitrogen at once. I always have to add something to make my seedlings greener from the get go. If you didn't fertilize with anything, then something else has to be going on. Are you sure you didn't use any kind of fertilizer?

Overwatering or saturated soil can cause root rot which means less roots to soak up nutrients in the soil so the plants usually get yellowish not dark green.

I too am guilty of using synthetics for my seedlings but I do also use organic things in my garden... manure, compost, blood meal, cover crops.
This is the one I use:
image.jpg

I Im not sure Whats going on. I just use water with my plants no pesticides or fertilisers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the one I use:
View attachment 93699
I Im not sure Whats going on. I just use water with my plants no pesticides or fertilisers.

Yep that is what I use. Depending on what state it is made in, the ingredients are just a bit different but the NPK (0.210 - 0.110 - 0.160) values are the same from what I remember. It says on the bag where its made. Here it comes from Georgia. I've tried the cheap potting mix and they are composed of totally different materials and I don't have much luck with those. The StaGreen brand looks like ground up tree bark and basically contains no nitrogen, which it wouldn't if it was 100% ground up tree bark but I'm sure it has a ton of micronutrients that MG does not.

I think I would still flush the soil out with water good and then let the soil dry out and then concentrate my efforts on watering/iight issues in the meantime as @cpp gardener suggests.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Grapefruit trees will grow well if you fertilize them well and give them good soil. Another thing is that the space needs to be bigger so the plant will grow more.

Ask a Question