Grape vine suddenly lost all of its leaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got an established grapevine, about five years old.
This year the leaves started appearing, but then a couple of days ago I noticed they were turning brown and shrivelling up. Any ideas? Disease? Lack of water (never had any problems even last summer when I hardly watered the vine)? I'm pretty sure the root system is well established, so I can't see how it's a lack of water.

Attachments

• 20230601_172335.jpg
    20230601_172335.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230601_172346.jpg
    20230601_172346.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Has anyone applied "weed and feed" type of fertilizer in the vicinity? Anyone, including neighbors.

That looks suspiciously to me like an herbicide kill such as you get from using those products.

Just a guess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last summer was blazing hot. It needed water then. This summer in the South it has been cold, and we're stuck in a weather pattern at the moment where it's dry with cold winds. Your vine won't be enjoying any of that, especially if you haven't watered or fed it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone applied "weed and feed" type of fertilizer in the vicinity? Anyone, including neighbors.

That looks suspiciously to me like an herbicide kill such as you get from using those products.

Just a guess.
Don't think any weed and feed has been used. I did use some on my front lawn about a couple of weeks ago, but it isn't anywhere near the vine which is in the back garden, unless the roots have spread approx. forty feet northwards underground..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last summer was blazing hot. It needed water then. This summer in the South it has been cold, and we're stuck in a weather pattern at the moment where it's dry with cold winds. Your vine won't be enjoying any of that, especially if you haven't watered or fed it.
I watered it a couple of days ago. Would a feed of tomorite help do you think? Not sure if It'll recover though, but I'll try anything. Should I cut it back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not very hopeful, but the only thing I'd recommend is give it as much warmth as possible ie shelter from this cold wind, and water as and when it dries out, hope for some sunshine and see what happens. It would be too much of a shock to start pruning now, and seems pointless feeding whilst there are no leaves. Good luck.

Ask a Question