Grandfather's Plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I inherited a plant from my grandfather years ago -- it's about 40 years old and I've never been able to identify it, could anyone help? It's almost dead, which I've accepted, but I'd like to know what it was before I completely forget it was part of my life :(

IMG_3264D.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the forums.

Please post more photos of the entire plant. I'm not certain. It might be a type of aroid (Araceae) or other monocot. The leaf hairs are an unusual trait for an aroid but certainly possible.

Also, your plant looks salvageable in the photo. Those bumps coming out near the sharp angle on the stem are root initials, so it should be very easy to start a new plant. The original plant may also be salvageable.
Begin by re-potting it. Examine the roots. make sure the soil and container drain well. Does the current container drain well? If not, switch it out.

Place both cuttings and original plant in bright, indirect light. Water regularly but make sure the soil remains well drained. Fertilize lightly with a complete, liquid fertilizer.Once you see signs of new growth, begin to fertilize at regular dosage and frequency.

Ask a Question