Grains able to be grown in the tropics?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
~12a
Country
Puerto Rico
I'd like to get into the growing of grains and other staple foods, but the only grain-like plants that are able to grow in a tropical climate (based on my internet research) are corn, amaranth, and rice. I want to grow all of these, however, are there any other grains that can do well? Some variety of wheat that could live in hot humid environments?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can grow many grains in the tropics. However it won't be as productive. The biggest problem is probably rainfall; too much and you might kill the crop. So in short you can but try to regulate the amount of rainfall the plant receives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
True. I may be able to regulate the amount of rainfall, but I'm most concerned with fungal diseases...
Sadly I live in the Midwest so my knowledge on the topic is limited. There is a reason only 2% of grains come from tropical areas. However with gardening it is a lot of trial and error. I wish you luck and sorry my knowledge on the topic is limited

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I live in the tropics in East Africa. Most people assume that tropical climate is homogeneous. Some areas are hot and dry, others hot and wet while others are cool and wet. The fact is tropical climate does not go to extremes. This means a wide variety of grains can be grown. Weather patterns also do change. Wet areas for example have a dry spell when grains are harvested so humidity is not an issue. Other grains grown are barley, sorghum, millet, dolichos etc.

Ask a Question