Grafting now (after blossom and on active stonefruit trees)

Reaction score
Country
France
got atool to cut U V or omega shaped cuttings for grafting.
All new to this, but i read the following two pieces of advice:
grafting:
one grafts with scions taken as late as possible but before the plant comes out of dormancy.
air layering
one removes an inch of bark including well removing the cambian layer or the plant could not root but heal the bark.

SO that made me think...
I have a bunch of nicely growing Reine Claude prune saplings that have chosen their own spot, about 5 of those should start fruiting next year.
I have an undefeined stonefruit that is on a shady location and only now after I gave it more sun it is not only setting flowers but also fruit.

Then there is a little cherry problem, I have two trees, they have grown a lot since plating, they love their spot, from a pencil thick 1 meter saplings the tallest has a thick trunk and is about 6 meters high. Both flower, but neither of them have given fruit yet (in Dutch there is a saying "groeien of bloeien" translating to "flower or grow" meaning no fruiting or flowers and a plant is more likely to focus on growth, that is why these two cherries have grown way more then the other trees we planted around the same time i think.
The first cherry is already past flowering now and already green, the second one is only flowers, so there there is no cross polination.

So what i was thinking is.
Can't i just find some same size branches and graft a few branches between the cherries and also swap branches between the unknown stonefruit and Reine claude trees?
The cherry idea being, that next year when the roots start the punping of fluids into the tree some blossom will be of another type, making pollination possible despite it all being on the same roots.

Before i mess up the trees, is my thinking that a careful cut off branche replaced with a same sized very similar tree branche while the tree is in grow mode (no fruit, or in case of the unknown stone fruit fruits removed) could heal and be succesful even though the trees are no longer dormant?
i thought about just topping branche and put a whole branche in its place, leaves and all.
I find it kind of scary and its a main reason to register here. I could experiment with the unknown stone fruit and a Reine Claude sapling, thats no issue if one of those get lost, but rather do it all now and have the benefit next year instead of waiting for next february :)
(I do plan on air layering the cherries, the lowest branches are a bit in the way so if that works I should be able to have more of those next year but also idk if more clones of the same tree helps in polination, I must suck at googling :( . So i have air layered extension of the cherries going into their spot end of this season and grafting those next spring anyways, so what is best to do now?) I hope it makes sense.

Ask a Question