Grafted Cactus Problem...

Reaction score
For my birthday last month, my grandmother bought me a "grafted cactus." I have quite a few cacti, but I've never had one like this nor had I heard of a "grafted cactus" before. This one has a thick green stalk, and when looked at from the top, the shape is triangular. Then, on top sits a bright red sphere with the little stickies. It's been doing well, but I decided to repot it a week or two ago because the roots were popping out of the holes in the bottom AND out of the top of the soil. Well I took a good look at it today and noticed that about half of the stalk is almost see through now and is squishy to the touch.

I was wondering if anyone knew what is going on and if the damage is irreparable?

Attached is a picture. Thanks for your help. :)

Attachments

• DSC06803.JPG
    DSC06803.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 563
Reaction score
Too much moisture, the plant is rotting. Did you use a cactus mixture for it when you repotted? Cacti come from dry regions where the soil has a very high sand level to it. Does the pot have drainage holes in the bottom and drainage material in the pot?

Reaction score
Hi there! I come from a place where cactus grow almost everywhere...! I really think you should take that cactus and put it in a better soil, even your garden soil will do, you don't really need cactus mixture, you just need some soil from your garden. I use that one and my cacti do well.

Cacti don't like the kind of soil you used... the water doesn't' evaporate soon enough. If you leave the cactus in there, it will surely die. Just re pot it and use a different soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Chances are 50/50 for a recovery. Take it out of any soil and let it dry out and scab /callous over. Garden soil isn't recommended because it holds too much moisture (unless you live where cactus grow naturally). Cactus soil is a lot more lighter mix. You can replant after it has scabbed over well and there is no mushy parts on it, but don't add water for another week. Then only add a little to barely moisten the soil. Make sure the soil is bone dry before watering each time.

I always keep my cactus in very small pots. They dry out fast and seem to prefer it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi! The soil in the picture actually came from my flower bed.

If I repot it in some better soil, while it make a recovery?

It could recover, just do as the poster above you said. I should have mentioned not all garden soils were good for cacti, mine is because I live in the dessert and our soil is just perfect for cactus. Get some cactus mix and re pot that cactus. I'm sure it will be fine, just don't lave it like that or else i will rot and there will e a point of no return.

Reaction score
The sooner that you repot it the better chance of survival it will have. Cactus mix this time and don't water it so much, they hold the water inside so need very little watering. That's now they survive in the desert.

Reaction score
Chances are 50/50 for a recovery. Take it out of any soil and let it dry out and scab /callous over. Garden soil isn't recommended because it holds too much moisture (unless you live where cactus grow naturally). Cactus soil is a lot more lighter mix. You can replant after it has scabbed over well and there is no mushy parts on it, but don't add water for another week. Then only add a little to barely moisten the soil. Make sure the soil is bone dry before watering each time.

I always keep my cactus in very small pots. They dry out fast and seem to prefer it.
How should I let it dry out? Like air dry? And what do you mean by "scab/callous" over?

Reaction score
The sooner that you repot it the better chance of survival it will have. Cactus mix this time and don't water it so much, they hold the water inside so need very little watering. That's now they survive in the desert.
The only time I watered it (after repotting) was when I initially repotted it. So, I don't water it much.

Reaction score
It could recover, just do as the poster above you said. I should have mentioned not all garden soils were good for cacti, mine is because I live in the dessert and our soil is just perfect for cactus. Get some cactus mix and re pot that cactus. I'm sure it will be fine, just don't lave it like that or else i will rot and there will e a point of no return.
I gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The only time I watered it (after repotting) was when I initially repotted it. So, I don't water it much.
Yes, take it completely out of the soil and let it air dry until all the mushiness has dried. Depending on the severity of the rot this could take a day or more. Whenever I repot succulents, especially cactus I don't water right away. If the roots or new cutting have not completely dried they will rot. I am guessing there were damaged roots (quite natural in repotting and often unnoticed) that let the rot enter the plant.

I often take cuttings from my cactus to create new plants. I usually let them air dry for a day or so. You will notice that the cut portion will have dried out and formed a skin, scab or callous (whatever you want to call it).

Reaction score
To be on the safe side, I'd repot with a cacti mixture. Barely water it and see how it does. I haven't dealt with cacti in awhile but when I had some, they were quite picky of the picky. They love their sun.

Ask a Question