graft union

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
This is the graft union of a chestnut on another chestnut done 2 years ago. Does the union look normal or is it indicative of possible rejection. The demarcation is still very obvious which makes me worry the seal is not good.
Graft union at 2 years.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a great photograph. Which species is this? Is this a graft between two different species of Chestnut (Castanea spp.)?

That slight gap at the edge of the graft may not be indicative of a problem. There seems to be a good join deeper within. Of course, predicting the long term outocme of a graft is never a certainty. Sometimes even the neatest looking grafts fail, even many years after the joining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Hope the graft stays! Up to date it seems fine. Although I feel the graft is growing very slowly (maybe that's a good thing since I usually loose the grafts due to breakage from wind or otherwise). Also, this year the graft bore a couple of tiny burrs. Maybe I should have removed those. This is a Marron-type (I do not know the cultivars name) chestnut graft on a seedling with small tasteless nuts. Hopefully, the graft will survive to bear tasty bigger nuts. Thanks for your comments.

Ask a Question