zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCN0611.JPG

12 volt wind generator, to back up the solar panels :)

Got fed up of sitting in the dark with just a wind up torch in the evenings :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice :D.

How much electricity do you find it generates? I remember you saying that you've got solar panels for the lighting, does this wind turbine top up the same batteries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How cool! I had no idea it was so small when you first mentioned it! It has been pretty windy here, I wonder how much energy I could generate with one of those! I told my grandfather I wanted a windmill for the back yard a while ago and he laughed. If he still had his sight I'd show him your photo!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how much it's generating as there's no separate display for the voltage, it is going into the same batteries as the solar, but thru a separate charge controller.

Charged the computer(twice) and the telly today and still showing 11.7 volts, which is good enough for the lights tonight too :)

You can buy a portable mounting, but i'd use the car battery for camping, got an inverter for that that transforms 12volt dc to 230 ac :)

How cool! I had no idea it was so small when you first mentioned it! It has been pretty windy here, I wonder how much energy I could generate with one of those! I told my grandfather I wanted a windmill for the back yard a while ago and he laughed. If he still had his sight I'd show him your photo!

Maybe Grandfather was picturing one of these Chanell :D

Reaction score
My friends have an old Chicago windmill. They aren't currently using it as they have an electric pump, but they still have it and it still works if they ever need it for backup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, @zigs, maybe he was at that! I'm going to have read up and study on solar panels and wind generators. There's not much sun right now, but there is plenty of wind! Could be very helpful during hurricane season.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'd have to furl it in a hurricane, bit too much for it, plus the blades could get shattered by flying debris :eek:

Solar is probably a better bet where you are:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, we don't get hurricanes year-round! In fact, sometimes (like this year) we don't get them at all. I would think I would get the most benefit from a wind generator during this time of the year and in the spring. Could make up for there being not as much sun in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like a fun little toy. Does it work all of the time, or just when it is windy out? I would love to get some solar panels so I could save money on my electric bill, but they don't work all that great when their is low sunlight.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like a fun little toy. Does it work all of the time, or just when it is windy out? I would love to get some solar panels so I could save money on my electric bill, but they don't work all that great when their is low sunlight.

Only when the wind gets over 5 knots, which isn't much use in a November fog.

Solar panels are keeping the lights on at the moment :)

DSCN0612.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
AWESOME! Because of where we live, wind and solar power are the way to go. We intend to get ours up and running asap. We even looked up how to make them and we can make one for under a $100. We can't wait until we get the materials. We'll post pic's and status update once we get it together. Might be a few months though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What a wonderful use of natural resources Zigs, I like it. If only they would come up with something where the weather does not need to work in your favor all the time in order for it to work.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I do hand washed laundry using rainwater too :D Mainly because Sis is on a water meter and I can't be bothered to cart gallons of water down from the main house :rolleyes:

Ask a Question