Good ways to stop the tips of indoor plants turning yellow.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good tips for preventing this? No water how much I water them, I always end up with a handful of plant leaves turning yellow on the very ends.

Reaction score
Yellow leaves sound like too much water. Only water when the soil is totally dry. It matters that you water them deeply instead of frequently. When you water them make sure the water drains.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, I have a peace plant that I may have been over watering. I am going to re-pot the plant and pay more attention to how much water I am giving the plant. It is not looking good right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Yellow leaves sound like too much water. Only water when the soil is totally dry. It matters that you water them deeply instead of frequently. When you water them make sure the water drains.

I assume you mean when the surface of the soil is totally dry. What you said is a bit ambiguous as you can't let a plant dry out completely.

Yes, drainage is important. Water until the water runs out of the drainage holes, then empty the saucer. Don't let the plant stand in a saucer of water or it may develop root rot.

Reaction score
Yes Gina, pardon my English. Basically Let the soil dry between waterings. This helps a lot and keeps you from over-watering your plant.

Reaction score
I noticed that the tips of my ferns become yellow a bit. It does not happen all the time, but through out the entire year, it happens a few times. So the yellowing happens because of too much water? I thought it was because of not enough sunlight. I will have to watch the watering more carefully.

Reaction score
I actually thought the tips of my indoor plants were turning a bit yellow because of the lack of sunlight. But I'm totally shocked that this has nothing to do with this! I guess sometimes I tend to water them when they're not completely dry... I should get my hands dirty more often and check the soil before watering my plants. Great info!

Reaction score
Some good information was shared here. I also wanted to know the answer to this question as well, but already saw a thread for it. :)

I guess maybe I was over-watering them? Very useful informaton. Thank you for starting this thread and thank you for all the replies.

Reaction score
I found that the leaf tips of some of my plants were turning yellow not due to too much or too little water but from the water itself. Spider plants are notorious for having this problem. What I learned was to let the water from the faucet to sit for a few days before using i, the chemicals in the water will evaporate. I also use the water from the dehumidifier as well which is generally chemical free.

Reaction score
I have a bad habit of over watering, so I always makes sure that there is good drainage, just in case. To the PP, I never thought about the chemicals in the water! That surely could be apart of the problem to.

Reaction score
It sounds like you make the same mistakes as me. I'm bad for either overwatering my plants or forgetting about them and making them go too long between waterings.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found that the leaf tips of some of my plants were turning yellow not due to too much or too little water but from the water itself. Spider plants are notorious for having this problem. What I learned was to let the water from the faucet to sit for a few days before using i, the chemicals in the water will evaporate. I also use the water from the dehumidifier as well which is generally chemical free.

My peace plant is turning brown, it has been suggested that I distill the water I use to water the plant. The idea of letting the water sit for a few days is interesting to me as I would boil the water to get the chemicals out. Letting the water sit is easier I think. I just boil the water and let it sit. I tried improving the soil, that is not the problem.

Reaction score
So what does it mean if the tips of my indoor palm tree are turning brown? I water it every day and have it indoors by a sunny window which is what the tag on the plant says I'm supposed to do. The leaves all look green but the tips are brown.

Ask a Question