Good or bad pest

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I just found this when pulling off the old okras in my big pots. Are they harmful?

Attachments

• 20151128_082919_HDR.jpg
    20151128_082919_HDR.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 649
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Look like lawn grubs to me (Google lawn grubs.)

Generally not very destructive. If your okra and lawn is healthy I wouldn't worry about them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just found this when pulling off the old okras in my big pots. Are they harmful?
Those are the larvae of the June bug or June Beetle. They are mildly destructive as the feed on plant roots. In Texas they do the most damage to lawns. There are many varieties of June bugs and most of them have favorite things they like to eat. In the Philippines I don't know what they eat, except apparently Okra.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those things are yucky looking and June bugs here is also destructive. We are always wary when they come around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
(y)I concur with Chuck about those little guys being June Beetles larvae:alien:. You can get rid of them by applying Grub nematodes into your soil, They'll kill the June Bugs and the larvae or you can apply some insecticide to the soil and that'll kill those little buggers to:alien:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't know how it is called in English but we have that here, a common pest in the sweet potato bed. The bite on the sweet potato and leave a peculiar taste. Sweet potato contaminated with that pest is not bought in the market - we call that ulalo which means a kind of worm. What's bad is not the deformity of the root crop but more of the odor and the bad taste it gives.

Ask a Question