Good Mental Health

Reaction score
This doesn't come as a surprise to me. Every time I am outside gardening, I feel a sense of calm. I always assumed it was just because I was outside getting some fresh air, but this is an even better explanation! I'm happy that I enjoy getting my hands dirty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That's such an interesting article. I always felt like gardening boosted my mood, but I just attributed it to being outdoors, the sunshine and so forth. Never would have considered soil microbes to possibly be at work there! There's a saying "gardening is cheaper than therapy" and I think it's true - it does so much for a person in terms of calmness and peace

Reaction score
Now I already knew why I am so happy and I am in the mood when I am doing the gardening even though I am totally perspiring outside the heat of the sun and even my hands are dirty because of the soil. I did not know that soil bacteria and microbes is a form of antidepressant. Thank you for sharing this interesting post!

Reaction score
This is mind blowing, no wonder I felt so happy and just generally well back when I was gardening or taking care of my plants on a daily basis. It was hard work, but I totally loved it :) Those were the most happy and calm years in my life, despite things not being the way I wanted. I'm looking forward to gardening again.

Reaction score
Now I already knew why I am so happy and I am in the mood when I am doing the gardening even though I am totally perspiring outside the heat of the sun and even my hands are dirty because of the soil. I did not know that soil bacteria and microbes is a form of antidepressant. Thank you for sharing this interesting post!

I know, right? I also thought so! I really enjoyed gardening even if I was sweating a lot and it was too hot outside, heck even the mosquitoes weren't a good reason for me to stop. Back then I had short nails, so I didn't mind getting my hands dirty, I actually loved to feel the soil in my hands. Now I'd wear gloves, because my nails are long. Those were the times ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Really great to read this, loved the video. Thanks Esther. As everyone has said, you know you feel good gardening but to know it's doing you good as well is great. I intend spreading the word;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love this article: I always thought gardening was a good stress reliever. I'm glad know it really is a great feel good activity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No wonder why we feel happy when digging our hands in the dirt!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
Good mental health depends on your physical health but not just on that. A lot of factors like your work, family, genetics even, money problems, stress in general, food and many other can affect your mental health. I had some serious mental problems even though i am very much fit. So stress is a very dangerous stuff. It doesn't look like that at first but when you start feeling depressed or just have extremely mixed feelings you will know something is wrong. My problem was, and still is sometimes , connected with certain trauma i had recently and i managed to fight with a help of a wonderful person who is not even aware how much she helped me. If you have some problem, try to fix it by finding the thing or someone who will do for you what she did for me.

Ask a Question