Good/bad fungus or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These round balls showed up in the cucumber bed this morning. They're more pink than the picture shows, a little smaller than chick peas. Any ideas as to what they are??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, sorry. I'll attach them here. They're in a raised bed with commercial fertilized soil to which I've added organic compost and aged manure over the 4 years I've been using the bed. Currently there's cucumbers growing there. I know the pictures are blurry; I'm still not good with the camera.
DSCF0019.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look like fungal fruiting bodies to me. Do you notice and mycelium, white fibers, in the soil? I get that lots with plenty of compost. I wouldn't worry too much, it is probably enjoying the compost and manure, breaking it down, and making the nutrients more available to your cucumbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I believe that what you have there is called Wolf's Milk Slime or Toothpaste Slime. It isn't a fungus but a slime mold but it does what a fungus does, it helps decompose organic matter and is harmless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes. Lycogala Epidendrum. It's an amoeba, a single cell organism. Not animal but can move by changing it's shape, sort of like crawling. They clump together when creating fruiting bodies, like this type. It's not a mushroom, don't eat and wash your hands after touching it. Some types of slime molds are actually technically edible - like Dog Vomit Mold. Apparently it is eaten ins some parts of Mexico - but why? Had it on our lawn once and I telling you - no way I'm eating that stuff!

These kinds of "slimes" usually arrive in gardens on leaf molds or other organic matter from infect areas that are not properly sanitized.

Ask a Question