Golden seal herb

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I live in the Caribbean, and I'm trying to find Golden Seal herb. I went the nursery right down the street from me, and they didn't have any seeds available, but the lady at the register said that if I can find it growing somewhere here on the island, I could just pull it out of the ground and then just transplant it into a pot. My question is, if I can find the seeds somewhere for sale, do you think the herb would be just as potent as if I can find it growing somewhere down here? Am I taking the easy way out by buying the seeds online? Thanx!

Reaction score
Google is your friend on finding seeds. I think that buying some seeds would be the best way to go, provided you research who you are buying them from. Most good seed suppliers will obtain the viable seeds from their best, potent specimens. It could be roulette with a wild strain, particularly if you're not skilled at identifying wild herbs in the first place (no idea if you do or don't). I'd probably do both, then compare the wild and cultivated strains.

i remember a naturopath prescribing me a Golden Seal formula a few years back. It tasted bloody awful!

Reaction score
I think that buying some seeds would be the best way to go, provided you research who you are buying them from. Most good seed suppliers will obtain the viable seeds from their best, potent specimens. It could be roulette with a wild strain, particularly if you're not skilled at identifying wild herbs in the first place (no idea if you do or don't). I'd probably do both, then compare the wild and cultivated strains.

Couldn't agree more.. Definitely purchasing seeds is the best way.

Reaction score
Please do not pull them out of their natural habitat. I think it is okay to take seeds from a plant in it native environment (if it is not endangered), but to pull the plant is too risky. As stated above, you can find seeds online for cheap. There are lots of home sellers that grow seeds for a living. That is what I do for a living.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had never thought about growing my own golden seal seeds. Rzashida, Having a business selling seeds sounds like it would be a fun job to have.

Reaction score
@Pat I enjoy it! I was doing well for a minute, but right now I am getting beat up by a big time competitor. I decided to switch it up and start a virtual assistant business but I refuse to abandon my heirloom seeds, and veggie business. It's small side money but it keeps me happy.

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I live in the Caribbean, and I'm trying to find Golden Seal herb. I went the nursery right down the street from me, and they didn't have any seeds available, but the lady at the register said that if I can find it growing somewhere here on the island, I could just pull it out of the ground and then just transplant it into a pot. My question is, if I can find the seeds somewhere for sale, do you think the herb would be just as potent as if I can find it growing somewhere down here? Am I taking the easy way out by buying the seeds online? Thanx!

This is a great question. I would much rather find it somewhere and transplant it because I have learned that these days the seeds are tampered with and some of them do not germinate.

Reaction score
This is a great question. I would much rather find it somewhere and transplant it because I have learned that these days the seeds are tampered with and some of them do not germinate.

I would love to know if Golden Seal and Yellow root are the same thing?

Ask a Question