Golden Durantas

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I'm trying to beautify my front yard entry area. I thought Golden Durantas would make it pop. Good coverage and I love the colors of green on the bottom and gold at the top. You guys have any suggestions to a similar plant that could be a viable option?

DurShG50_thumbnail.jpg

Reaction score
Is that a KFC nearby? That place looks familiar :p My parents were growing a tree that could be trimmed to stay like a bush, not sure about the name in english, but it looked like this:

ligustrum-vulgare-seto.jpg

So easy to take care of....

Reaction score
Although there are literally hundreds of plants that I could suggest JoshPosh that are equally as stunning if not more so than the Duranta in your photo - without first knowing what kind of climate you have, as well as the aspect in terms of sun or shade and of course whether or not you have a particular color in mind - it makes it very difficult to know what to suggest.

However although I would agree with you any of the Duranta varieties would be an excellent choice - especially as there so many different foliage colors to choose from - like for instance the green creamy hues of Variegata, Cloudy, Snow Flurry or Alba - as well as the yellow hues of Geisha Girl and Sapphire Showers - I have to say that as all Durantas have absolutely stunning flowers - it almost seems to shame to grow them as a closely clipped hedge.

Which is why you might also like to consider one of the Waterhousia Acmena Lilly Pilly varieties - as apart from requiring exactly the same growing conditions as the Durantas - they come in so many different color hues ranging from yellows and oranges right through to reds, pinks and purples - that I feel sure that there would be something that would catch your eye - so here are just a few examples to see if you like how they look

Waterhousia Acmena - Minnie Magic

Waterhousia Acmena - Minnie Magic.jpg

W.Acmena - Cherry Surprise

Waterhousia Acmena - Smithii -Cherry-Surprise.jpg

W. Acmena - Moonlight Flame

Waterhousia Acmena -Lilly Pilly - Moonlight Flame.jpg

W. Acmena Smithii - as a hedge

Waterhousia Acmena - Lilly Pilly hedge.jpg

Once I know what kind of climate you have as well as whether or not you have a preference regarding color - there are very, very many more colorful hedging plants that I can suggest - that will certainly make you front yard look way beyond stunning :)

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Although there are literally hundreds of plants that I could suggest JoshPosh that are equally as stunning if not more so than the Duranta in your photo - without first knowing what kind of climate you have, as well as the aspect in terms of sun or shade and of course whether or not you have a particular color in mind - it makes it very difficult to know what to suggest.

However although I would agree with you any of the Duranta varieties would be an excellent choice - especially as there so many different foliage colors to choose from - like for instance the green creamy hues of Variegata, Cloudy, Snow Flurry or Alba - as well as the yellow hues of Geisha Girl and Sapphire Showers - I have to say that as all Durantas have absolutely stunning flowers - it almost seems to shame to grow them as a closely clipped hedge.

Which is why you might also like to consider one of the Waterhousia Acmena Lilly Pilly varieties - as apart from requiring exactly the same growing conditions as the Durantas - they come in so many different color hues ranging from yellows and oranges right through to reds, pinks and purples - that I feel sure that there would be something that would catch your eye - so here are just a few examples to see if you like how they look

Waterhousia Acmena - Minnie Magic

View attachment 3789

W.Acmena - Cherry Surprise

View attachment 3792

W. Acmena - Moonlight Flame

View attachment 3791

W. Acmena Smithii - as a hedge

View attachment 3790

Once I know what kind of climate you have as well as whether or not you have a preference regarding color - there are very, very many more colorful hedging plants that I can suggest - that will certainly make you front yard look way beyond stunning :)

Thanks for the tip. I grew up in hawaii but I spend half the year in the Philippines. In hawaii there is golden durantas. I do not see any golden durantas in my neighborhood. So I wanted a taste of home and also to be different and have something unique in my neighborhoos. I'm sure people will copy what I do if the GD take off.

Ask a Question