Gnats

Reaction score
Do any of you have a solution for gnats? I was outside today with the children and we were assaulted by hundreds of them trying to crawl in our eyes and mouths. Is there something we can do to get rid of them naturally so we can be outside to work and play?

Reaction score
I would recommend diatomaceous earth- food grade. You can sprinkle it on your lawn. It will kill other bugs too. Somehow, it dries out the insects. If someone else knows how it works exactly, I would love to know. However, I have used it in my house to get rid of bugs, fleas, pests, and ants. It is not harmful to humans. If it gets on your hands, it dries them out so wear a pair of gloves.

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I have been desperate to be outside but the gnat problem has been impossible lately, especially since there is so much humidity here in Michigan. I will check for that. I wonder if they sell it on Amazon?

Reaction score
It will kill all other bugs so if you have a garden for butterflies or something like that, I would be careful. It would need replenished after a rain too. I found mine at an all-natural pet food and supply store. Farmers use it to deworm animals by putting it in their food supply. They have the non-food grade at garden centers though.

Reaction score
The first question would be what is the cause of the infestation. What you probably have are fungus gnats and like all fungi, they spawn in moist conditions.Do you have yourcompost bin near your house or gardens? Are you over watering? Do you have rotting material around the yard or in the gardens. Yellow leaves with spot on them anywhere near the plants? Those leaves have fungus on them and should be disposed in a sealed bag in the trash. Excessive amounts of decaying material around or near the yard and garden should be removed. Potting mixes that contain peat moss or compost will attract the gnats as well due to their ability to hold moisture.

Fungus gnats are related to other aggravating insects including flies, midges, and mosquitoes. Happily they have short life cycles but its up to you to eliminate their breeding ground. Beyond what was suggested there are more natural ways to control the little buggers. Beneficial nematodes love to chow down on the larvae of the fungus gnats. Sprinkling cinnamon around acts as a deterrent. A solution of one part three percent hydrogen peroxide with four parts water can be sprayed on the soil and it will kill on contact. Small jars with vinegar or cheap beer will attract them and they will fall in and drown. You can make sticky trap with vaseline applied to a 4" x 6" piece of paper that you place horizontally just above the surface of the soil.

The main thing is that you get rotting material cleaned up and make sure you are not over watering.

Reaction score
The first question would be what is the cause of the infestation. What you probably have are fungus gnats and like all fungi, they spawn in moist conditions.Do you have yourcompost bin near your house or gardens? Are you over watering? Do you have rotting material around the yard or in the gardens. Yellow leaves with spot on them anywhere near the plants? Those leaves have fungus on them and should be disposed in a sealed bag in the trash. Excessive amounts of decaying material around or near the yard and garden should be removed. Potting mixes that contain peat moss or compost will attract the gnats as well due to their ability to hold moisture.

Fungus gnats are related to other aggravating insects including flies, midges, and mosquitoes. Happily they have short life cycles but its up to you to eliminate their breeding ground. Beyond what was suggested there are more natural ways to control the little buggers. Beneficial nematodes love to chow down on the larvae of the fungus gnats. Sprinkling cinnamon around acts as a deterrent. A solution of one part three percent hydrogen peroxide with four parts water can be sprayed on the soil and it will kill on contact. Small jars with vinegar or cheap beer will attract them and they will fall in and drown. You can make sticky trap with vaseline applied to a 4" x 6" piece of paper that you place horizontally just above the surface of the soil.

The main thing is that you get rotting material cleaned up and make sure you are not over watering.

Wow! Thank you so much for all this information! I definitely don't want to harm the other insects and I think the gnats are only in such abundance because of the severe humidity and rainstorms lately. Now I have even more options!!!! Thanks.

Reaction score
Wow. That was really good information. Thanks. I didn't think about all the other points like that.

Ask a Question