Gnats, worms, and ants, oh my!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hey all, been a hell of a long time since Ive been around, been real busy. This summer I dug a garden, in addition to my usual potted plants. Its been rediculously wet, although much to my surprise most of the plants are alive - for now. The most pressing problem is the fungus gnats, theres gotta be thousands of them. Ive dealt with them small scale but nothing on the scale of my entire garden. Next on the list is worms, little green buggers. If I recall correctly theyre some sort of larva but not 100% sure. Only seen them on a few plants but most of them do have some pretty significant damage to their leaves, although we've had bad luck with hail too this year. Last on the list is ants - Im not terribly concerned about them, but there is a lot and Im concerned theyre gonna overrun the garden within a couple years. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190823_133813.jpg
    20190823_133813.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190821_170754.jpg
    20190821_170754.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 116
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey all, been a hell of a long time since Ive been around, been real busy. This summer I dug a garden, in addition to my usual potted plants. Its been rediculously wet, although much to my surprise most of the plants are alive - for now. The most pressing problem is the fungus gnats, theres gotta be thousands of them. Ive dealt with them small scale but nothing on the scale of my entire garden. Next on the list is worms, little green buggers. If I recall correctly theyre some sort of larva but not 100% sure. Only seen them on a few plants but most of them do have some pretty significant damage to their leaves, although we've had bad luck with hail too this year. Last on the list is ants - Im not terribly concerned about them, but there is a lot and Im concerned theyre gonna overrun the garden within a couple years. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
The only thing you really have to worry about are the caterpillars. Fungus knats are a PITA but don't really harm anything. Depending on the type of ant they may be beneficial but if not rarely do much damage. But those caterpillars will destroy your garden. Spray everything with a Bt product. If I knew what ant you have I could probably tell you how to eliminate them too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ill go out and get my hands on some spray. Not terribly concerned about the ants this year, if they get much worse next season Ill look into dealing with them. Thanks for the advice

Ask a Question