Glads

Reaction score
Country
United States
Earlier in the year, we ordered some items from a catalog. As a 'free gift', we got 6 'shooter glad' bulbs. The bulbs were small & truthfully didn't expect them to do anything. Planted 3 in a large pot & 3 weeks later, did the last 3. Was more than surprised when we were rewarded with 6 huge plants.

The plants have long since gone. For this area, zone 4, i've read that one needs to dig up the bulbs and replant in the spring. Doing that was easy since they were in pots. What surprised me was what was pulled out of there. Several of the bulbs are HUGE; it's like they divided and now there's 3, for .. or even more.

Is that right? Do I need to split them up or just let them sit as is until next year?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 6a
Country
United States
You can split them up and have many more plants for next year! But you should take the oldest bulb (or corm it is called) off and dispose from the rest. Let the corms dry out first before separating otherwise you will tear them and injure the bulbs which may not grow if that happens. Otherwise you're all good! The bulbs need a time rest between seasons which is why they advise you to dig them out and store them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds wonderful and I love glads! I bought a package of bulbs from the Dollar Store to try, and they did bloom beautifully the first year. The second year, there were only two blooms but I didn't know about digging them up and split them. This year, I dug them up and found so many more bulbs. I replanted them but they didn't bloom at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitehorsesolicitors

Latest Threads