Gladiolus

Reaction score
California Central Valley (desert climate)
Anyone have any luck with these? Are they particularly difficult to grow? I followed all tips for growing from bulbs. I planted 120 bulbs for a large portion on my front yard as I wanted a nice tall base in a large area of the yard. At one point, I had about 60 sprouts that reached several inches tall and one by one they died. I'm down to about 20 and it looks as though only around 5 are actually going to produce a flower stalk. I'm so sad as I was so excited that they seemed to be doing so well. I keep them moist but do not soak, they are mulched and in full sun most of the day. The ones that have survived thus far, should I try to transplant them or just cross my fingers for next year?

Reaction score
A spot that has full sun and drains really well is the first step. Plant them six to eight inches apart and six to eight inches deep. After they are planted give them a good drink of water and then water as needed. Watering deeply and less frequently is better than watering often. Check the weather before you water - glads hate to sit in water for very long. They do have stakes and holders for the glads because they can tip over due to the weight of the flowers. If you live in a colder climate then dig them up in the fall but wait until all of the greenery is gone.

Reaction score
Boo I did all that. I wonder if there's a possibility it was a bad batch? I measured the depth and spacing, they are in full sun and we never get rain so I fully control the watering. Definitely no sitting water around here. We''ve had two soaking rains since I planted in late Jan.

Reaction score
Mine come back every year, but I am just on the line for them. I do nothing special and have had good luck. I have only planted them a couple inches deep, but I would dig them a little deeper if I would to do them again. I have clay soil and they don't seem to mind. The biggest problem I have is them tend to flop over with their flower stalks. Have you dug up any of the bulbs to see how they look? Maybe they were eaten or dug up? Bugs?

Reaction score
When I noticed they were dying off (the little green bud/stalk would die at 2-4 inches tall), I'd pull them a bit, and the stalk would detach from the bulb. I dug a few bulbs up and they looked fine so I put them back in the ground. Might just chalk it up to not planting at the proper time as we have had a very bizarre weather season the past 6 months or so. It was hard to know when I should plant. If they don't do well next year, I will dig them all up and try another spot in the garden.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gladiolus tristis
Gladiolus tristis.JPG

G miniatus
Gladiolus miniatus.JPG

G splendens
Gladiolus splendens.JPG

G priorii