Gladiolus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The petals on my gladiolus have fallen off (naturally). Where the petals were, a solid object has developed. Can anyone advise what these are as they have formed in two of the plants.

Eddie

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seed pods. Let them develop, turn brown, start to open and collect the seed; if you want to try growing from seed. If not then renove them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you NigelJ. My understanding from the TV is I should not let plants 'go into seed' as that 'drains' the energy back into the bulb. Must be a different case for Glads.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Depends, if you look at plants in the natural world they produce seed and continue to thrive. Gladiolus aren't different it's up to you. If you remove most of the flower heads and seed pods and let a couple develop the plant will be fine and you'll have more than enough seed to get a few plants and see what they look like in a few years time.
I deadhead a lot of plants 1) to keep them looking tidy 2) to encourage a further flush of flowers 3) I don't want to have them taking over the garden and have to spend hours pulling up unwanted seedlings from everywhere.
I collect seed of some salvias and other plants so i have plants for next year or to give away.

Ask a Question