Giving plant/tree as a gift

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I was wondering if there are sites online that are devoted to selling trees or plants as gifts. I am thinking of something that I should give to a friend, and I think that this is a great idea. I am looking for stores that offer free shipping. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was wondering if there are sites online that are devoted to selling trees or plants as gifts. I am thinking of something that I should give to a friend, and I think that this is a great idea. I am looking for stores that offer free shipping. Thanks!
www.earthgardenonline.com

There is no such thing as a free lunch or free shipping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Unless you are very, very familiar with the recipient's gardening habits and interests, a gift certificate from a local nursery might be a better idea.
I've received well-meaning gifts of plants that were entirely inappropriate (toxic to pets and we have a cat) or simply wouldn't do well in our area (gardenia).
Plants are great gifts, but have to be chosen carefully and with good knowledge of the recipient's tastes.

Reaction score
You could just buy something from the local nursery, it would be more simple in my opinion, but it's really up to you. I have seen some really beautiful plants with a lot flowers, I'm sure your nurseries also have that kind of things there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You can always purchase a plant or a tree and ask the store to ship the gift directly to your friend. I did it once with my boyfriend, when I bought him very heavy dumbbells:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
www.earthgardenonline.com

There is no such thing as a free lunch or free shipping.

There are sites that offer free shipping worldwide. I just don't know if gardening stores do this, too since they will be taking trees and plants not clothes.

You can always purchase a plant or a tree and ask the store to ship the gift directly to your friend. I did it once with my boyfriend, when I bought him very heavy dumbbells:)

It's just annoying when the shipping fee is more expensive than the actual product you are buying. :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When they say free shipping all they are doing is adding the cost of shipping onto the price. Having free shipping is just another marketing gimmick to make you think you are getting something for free. These people aren't in business to lose money. If they were they wouldn't be in business very long. Shipping something costs the seller something. If you believe he isn't going to recover his costs in some way then I am afraid you are living on Fantasy Island

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree with Chuck. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as free shipping:(
Sometimes, I purchase things together with my friends or family members and we split shipping costs. It's a good way to save a few dollars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
When they say free shipping all they are doing is adding the cost of shipping onto the price. Having free shipping is just another marketing gimmick to make you think you are getting something for free. These people aren't in business to lose money. If they were they wouldn't be in business very long. Shipping something costs the seller something. If you believe he isn't going to recover his costs in some way then I am afraid you are living on Fantasy Island

Yeah, I guess so. One site I know that does this LLBean, though it is mostly for clothes - not gardening stuff.

I agree with Chuck. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as free shipping:(
Sometimes, I purchase things together with my friends or family members and we split shipping costs. It's a good way to save a few dollars.

I guess I can do this. Anyway, I decided to not continue with my plant to ship a tree or a plant because I realized that it's too silly and expensive. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh:( I honestly thought that it was a wonderful idea. I know I'd love to receive a tree as a gift:) My sister once purchased two lilac bushes for my mother, it made her very happy.
I always jump from joy when my boyfriend gives me miniature roses:D

Ask a Question