Giant Caterpillers!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Notices that my long hot peppers where looking a little odd the other day and got looking closer and came across this giant caterpiller biggest one i have ever seem over 3 inches long and as fat as my little finger. Does anyone know what kind it is and how to prevent more from killer my pepper plants.

It wasn't eating the leaves oddly enough rather attached to the stern of the plant.

Attachments

• DSC_5273.JPG
    DSC_5273.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 331
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is your basic Tomto Hornworm caterpillar. It is an adult so look on other plants. Their favorite is tomato but they also enjoy peppers and egg plants. They are almost impossible to see so as you look at your plants look for their poop as it is easier to see than the caterpillars. These caterpillars are extremely destructive. One the size of yours will eat every leaf on the plant and the fruit too. Spray all of your plants with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis). This will kill all of the caterpillars within 24 hours and will remain effective for over a week. Bt is organic and will not harm humans or pets and your fruit can be consumed immediatly after spraying if you like. Ask your nursery person for it. Green Light sells it under the name of Bt Worm Killer and Monterey sells it under the name of Monterey Bt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, I plant tomatoes and peppers every year and this is the first time I have ever seen one. I am guessing that they are what have been making holes in some of my tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, I plant tomatoes and peppers every year and this is the first time I have ever seen one. I am guessing that they are what have been making holes in some of my tomatoes.
Usually when they eat the fruit they will eat a sizeable chunk of it if they are a mature catepillar. Hornworms like the new tender foliage towards the top of the plant. Inspect your plants for missing leaves in the early mornings and look for their poop below the missing leaves. He will be hiding close by but very difficult to see as he is perfectly camoflaged

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
is there one brand better than another for this Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) for checking locally it is not available and i will have to mail order it, looking for the most commonly and preferred brand or manufacturer. Amazon is back ordered waiting on supplies so any suggestions on where to purchase would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bt is marketed under a lot of names and I am very surprised that your local Lowes, Home Depot or nursery does not carry it under one name or another as it is the most effective caterpillar control in existence. I just checked Ebay on Home and Gardens and Hi Yield has Thuricide for less than $20 and Free Shipping. Maybe the folks you talked to didn't understand your question. Where do you live? I just can't imagine anywhere in the US where it is not available. As far as one brand being better than another I haven't found that to be so. Just make sure the active ingredient is Bt

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am in central PA an hour and half from the nearest big city. They may have had it in my area but they stock very little of anything in my area and if you don't buy it when they have it odds are it will be sold.out when.you do. Never really used anything on my garden and this is a first for me. Now I know what I need thanks to this forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am in central PA an hour and half from the nearest big city. They may have had it in my area but they stock very little of anything in my area and if you don't buy it when they have it odds are it will be sold.out when.you do. Never really used anything on my garden and this is a first for me. Now I know what I need thanks to this forum
I live way out in the sticks too but luckily there is a hardware store about 20 miles away that has everything and if they don't there is the internet. There are 3 things that will take care of any insect or caterpillar that you will ever have in you garden and they are all Organic. Bt, Spinosad and Neem Oil. Spinosad will take care of caterpillars too but not as quickly as Bt. Spinosad is the all around insecticide. Neem is more specific and you will not use it very often but it is better to have it and not need it than the alternative. And as long as you keep them shaded and cool they all have a long shelf life, at least 3 years and all three are extremely effective and safe for humans and pets

Ask a Question