Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You might want to run a magnet over the hard drive first :eek:

Reaction score
That's pretty scary. When I eventually get a different printer, this makes me want to destroy my printer and rip the hard drive out. It sucks that we have to be so vigilant, but identity thieves are constantly coming up with new ways to screw us.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just run a super magnet over the hard drive before you get rid of it.

http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/magnets_overview_raw

Someone I worked with upset me over my Daughter. I ran one of the magnets over his wallet in his back pocket on Christmas eve. Wiped all his credit/debit cards and left him with no money over Christmas.

Shouldn't upset a Zig over his Daughter :ninja:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will have to run a magnet over several printers that we have in the house. I scan all my work information along with personal information into my printer. Thanks for sharing, I knew to complete this type of activity on a computer but not a printer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I remember reading about this kind of a thing happening with old copy machines that have been traded in for newer models, and then resold at auction. If somone knows how to retrieve the information that has been copied it is all there, and copiers that have been at a hospital, doctors office,or a police station, can hold some very private information about a person.
Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do to prevent this information from being stolen, unless the company that owns and resells the copier wipes them clean; and this sometimes happens, and often , does not.

Reaction score
We always wipe pc hardware with an electromagnet. It's also important to protect things like ATM and credit cards since there are handheld devices that can read those too... while they're in your wallet. Identity theft is an epic issue right now.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, Zigs! I will definitely look into this next time! My mom got rid of mine without met knowing it :p So I guess it's too late. I will be more careful next time, no idea it was so important to do this with a printer.

Reaction score
Of course you do not want to dispose your printer with the hard drive still intact. You might have printed some sensitive materials and the printer stored them.Make sure you remove the hard disk and dispose the printer without the hard disk.

Reaction score
What the heck? I didn't even know this was possible. I'm going to destroy my printer when there comes a time for a new one.

Reaction score
I had no idea you could recover information from a printer. I do save every hard drive from past computers, now I will save the drives from a printer as well. Is there no end to this? Does a super magnet really do it? If so, I will be buying one for this and other things.I know that no matter what you do to a computer hard drive, it can still be recovered, even breaking it physically does not do it.

Reaction score
Unless you have a professional enterprise printer there is no hard drive in your typical home printer. Even most of your large print/copy/scan units used in the corporate world are controlled by a print server somewhere in the network environment. Home use printers do have memory (RAM) though but it's incapable of saving anything you sent to the printer after it's shut down. When you're ready to get rid of your printer just take it apart first. If you find a hard drive in there somewhere post back and I'll stand corrected.

Morlogs

Ask a Question