Getting ready to plant some veggies

Reaction score
Well my wife and I should be getting ready to plant some cool weather veggies this weekend if the 10 day outlook is good. We spent some time on Sunday getting the raised garden beds ready. Had lots of weeding to do as we did not adequately prepare them in the fall. Usually we cover them with weed fabric, but got lazy last fall and never did it, boy did we pay for it though. This year between crops I might try some cover crops in the beds and will give this a shot in the fall as well. We are also doing everything organically in these beds so the cover crops will add some much needed nutrients back into the soil.

Anyone else gettting ready to plant any veggies.

Reaction score
The only thing we are planting is tomatoes in a large pot. Haven't done it yet, winter decided it wasn't over yet.

j.w

Reaction score
I haven't planted any veggies this year as DH keeps saying we are getting in the camper and taking off for months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have my garden ready, honey fixed our tiller wants to till it for me. I usually put in peas and beans, but missed the time. My seed grown tomatoes are over a foot high and putting put blossoms in our sun room. Now I need some warm weather to get them outside

What are cover crops? ie what kind of plants do you put in

Reaction score
Here is an article about them. They are certain type of crops (buckwheat, winter wheat, oats) and you plant them then cut them down and the stuff you cut down you till back into the soil. They also keep your garden from becoming nothing but weeds during seasons. It has intrigued me for the last year or so and I am going to give it a go even though I only have 7 raised garden beds, I like to try new things.

http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/ecogardening/impsoilcov.html

Reaction score
My Dh tilled up the raised beds and I'm ready to plant, but we've had two big winter-like storms come though so I am going to wait just a bit longer.

Reaction score
So today we tilled in the compost and peat into the garden beds. After that we planted 5 different varieties of lettuce, onions, radishes and spinach. We also put in the one big bed along the side some perennial seeds and wildflower seeds this is going to be a regular flower bed. In the coming weeks we will plant squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers. Still have a lot of work to do with pulling weeds around the garden.
P1030905.JPG
P1030906.JPG
P1030907.JPG
P1030908.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
what is silver beet jenny .Is it just like a regular beet .Sure is a nice garden set up you have tmann .Would love to grow more here but to much else to do and not enough time for it all .Grow just enough for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed your dog - so adorable! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got so many radishes already think they are growing to fast and must be the heat and started my pickle and cucumber plants 4 days ago and they are already a 6 inches or so tall and now what do we get cold weather getting down to 37 tonight and hope it does not effect them .Darn wanted the rain but not the cold

Reaction score
She was a rescue we got last year and has been great dog. She is supposed to be a schnauzer but she is more terrier, she loves to hunt...

Attachments

• P1020331.JPG
    P1020331.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 465

Ask a Question