German Ivy or Something Else??

Reaction score
Country
United States
The label on the plant with yellow flowers indicates it is German Ivy (GI), however, my search for German Ivy on line found nothing that looks like it. Has anyone grown this plant before and can verify that it's actually GI? If so, does it bloom all summer long?

Attachments

• German Ivy.jpg
    German Ivy.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 137
  • German Ivy & Petunia.jpg
    German Ivy & Petunia.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Forum Fam,

I didn't realize there were so many variations of coleus. I love these but I don't know whether they are sun loving or prefer shade. Do any of you know? I hope they love full sun.

Attachments

• Coleus.jpg
    Coleus.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 138

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Partial sun. You know if it’s getting to much sun. The color of the leaves will fade and the plant will wilt a bit everyday. 3hours of direct sunlight is enough. I keep mine in a pot so it can be moved if needed. Pretty light blue/purple blooms as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The label on the plant with yellow flowers indicates it is German Ivy (GI), however, my search for German Ivy on line found nothing that looks like it. Has anyone grown this plant before and can verify that it's actually GI? If so, does it bloom all summer long?

What you have @Palmlin seems to be Delairea Odorata, previously named Senecio Mikanoides. It's common name is German Ivy and there are various types amongst the species.

Here is a link for you to peruse. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Judging by the leaves, this may be a form of Canary Creeper Senecio tamoides, or a similar species. Overall, the genus Senecio is immense and there are a number of vining species, mostly native to Africa. Other vining Senecio with different flowers, and/or more succulent leaves include include Senecio angulatus, S. macroglossus, and S.oxyriifolius ssp. tropaeolifolius. There are a good number of misidentified photos to be found online, which adds to the confusion. Furthermore, the taxonomy of Tribe Senecioneae is still changing as more analyses are performed. Many of these vines could be called Cape Ivy, or, without geographic accuracy, German Ivy. However these common names are most often used for another vining daisy, Delairea odorata, formerly included in Senecio and still in the Senecio Tribe (Senecioneae). Unlike the plant pictured, Delairea odorata flower heads do not possess ray flowers and the leaf lobes are more sharply angled.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Judging by the leaves, this may be a form of Canary Creeper Senecio tamoides, or a similar species. Overall, the genus Senecio is immense and there are a number of vining species, mostly native to Africa. Other vining Senecio with different flowers, and/or more succulent leaves include include Senecio angulatus, S. macroglossus, and S.oxyriifolius ssp. tropaeolifolius. There are a good number of misidentified photos to be found online, which adds to the confusion. Furthermore, the taxonomy of Tribe Senecioneae is still changing as more analyses are performed. Many of these vines could be called Cape Ivy, or, without geographic accuracy, German Ivy. However these common names are most often used for another vining daisy, Delairea odorata, formerly included in Senecio and still in the Senecio Tribe (Senecioneae). Unlike the plant pictured, Delairea odorata flower heads do not possess ray flowers and the leaf lobes are more sharply angled.
Thank you Marck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Senecio tamoides (Canary creeper). They are winter bloomers - They normally bloom from late autumn through to midwinter. Where are you in the US? I find it interesting that they're blooming in May (late spring) where you're at. Canary creeper is a prolific vine with beautiful grapevine-like leaves and abundant daisy flowers:

1280px-Senecio_tamoides.jpg

A German ivy has discoid flowers, like this:

German%20ivy%2001%20-%20No%20photo%20credit.JPG

Ask a Question